Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Leaks, Leaks and more leaks

HELP!!!
We got alot of rain in Arizona, and my "new" 1975 Airstream has water flowing all over the floors. I can see where folks dumped a lot of silicon around the windows, and I do not think it is coming in there. Roof vents and sewer vents seem ok. Only thing, trim strips around the unit seem to not be caulked, or it is long gone. Cannot find water leaking high up, comes out under the wall covering.
If it is the trim, is there aliquid caulk that can be used to stop it???
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
All the silicone may be part of the problem! It doesn't stick well to aluminum...

You probably should scrape it all out, we use Permatex Gasket Remover and popsicle sticks sharpened to a point to scrape out all the seams. Then clean it real good and re caulk ALL your seames using Vulkem, Silaflex &/or Parabond. Here's a link to help you with deciding which sealers will work for your trailer. It's a nasty job...but in order to keep from chasing the problem, if you do it right it will be done.

There's also a whole forum on this topic which I have moved this thread into "Leaks - Caulking & Sealants" you may find some comfort in knowing you aren't alone...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Hey Jim.
Sorry to hear your having a leak issue. Most of us have had a leak issue at one time or another.

First off, SILICON is big trouble and a big no no when it comes to sealing our Airstreams. I would not be surprised that h2o is getting behind the silicon.

You really should consider removing the Silicon and replacing it with Vulcum or Sikiflex, which is what the factory uses. For tighter seams Parabond and/or ArcaR.

You can get this stuff on-line. thou my spelling of the products is off, i'm sure another member will jump in.

Best of luck,

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Well the rain has stopped, so have fans going in the unit to try and dry it out, I plan to go out and climb up and see what looks bad around the windows. Also I noticed the sewer vents are not capped??? Have the service manual, but it does not show the assembly. Worse leak is behind where the toilet goes?? No windows near there.
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Pima
Well the rain has stopped, so have fans going in the unit to try and dry it out, I plan to go out and climb up and see what looks bad around the windows. Also I noticed the sewer vents are not capped??? Have the service manual, but it does not show the assembly. Worse leak is behind where the toilet goes?? No windows near there.
Take a sewer vent pipe cover off.

You should find the gasket very well cracked. They only last 5 years or so.

There is a simple procedure to replace them, and to properly seal them.

Check all the window, access compartment and entrance door gaskets.

If they have never been replaced, they are all bad.

Clearance lights can leak in time.

The "HUGE" problem is to remove "ALL" the exterior silicone, which will be a real pain.

The proper exterior sealers are Par-bond, and Vulkem, but they will not bond until you remove all the traces of the silicone sealer.

Those are the sealers that Airstream used, and still does today.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
If you have a leak above the toilet but you don't have any windows, it could be coming from the vents gaskets (vents don't have a cover) or the rivets behind the beltline (the plastic blue stripe that's inserted & is about 1 1/2" wide). I found alot of rivets behind there that were either missing or not sealed & caused leaks. You really should remove all the silicone caulk that is on the trailer & replace it with Vulkem. I had alot on my trailer when I bought it (it's a time consuming job to remove it!) I found a nice little pick kit at Harbor freight that I used to get it all out of the small spaces. Kinda like a dentist pick. It's tuff to find leaks, but armed with a hose, you can do it!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote