Old 07-13-2007, 03:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia

Also means "Square ole Box".

And yes, vibrations will cause new leaks to appear even in the newest Airstream. At the factory they use the Acryl-R for all the small narrow seams, but I too think the Alcoa Gutter seal or Sikaflex looks better.

Recently there have been a few posters who've recommended a dealer maintenance trick of having their units pressurized through a vent like the bathroom fan, then applying soapy water to the unit to track down all the leaks. Sounds like it's something that a handy person could do with a leaf blower or the exhaust side of a wet dry vac and a funnel modified to fit over the hose.

I still work, but I full time in my Airstream - and the condo park where I spend the majority of my time may have the world's largest collection or ancient SOB's... fully as many of them qualify for "vintage" as the Airstreams do....

OK, the trick is that they've survived as well as an Airstream because they've never left the park. The owners have them put on the storage lot, then towed to a camping space whenever they are in town. Most are used a few weeks a year.... Oh and they ALL leak without ever being towed at more than 5 mph for more than 1/3 of a mile. There's one old Shasta that could be called "Our Lady of Caulk" it's got so much of the goo on it's roof and sides, and many of the others have had the fiberglass or tar coatings on the roof so often that it's running down the sides sorta like the chocolate icing on a German chocolate cake.

I'm betting any of them would fall apart if they were ever driven over moderately decent roads at highway speeds! At least mine leaked a tiny bit because I'd put 4000 miles on it in a year.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1972 Argosy 20
2007 Base Camp
Middletown , New Jersey
I was talking with the owner of a campground we were staying in back in May, he said fully 85% of the trailers on his campground won't move until they are hauled off to the dump. Looking through his CG, it was a wonder that many of them could even have been parked where they were without felling trees!

I'm kinda funny about camping, I want to GO to new places and SEE new things. To me, having the trailer sit in one spot, year after year, would be the most boring thing going. They are called TRAVEL trailers for a reason...

Bob Fowler

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #17
Engineer Rich
1992 35' Airstream 350
San Antonio , Texas
Anyone want to help me with a basic question...I have my first roof leak on my '92 is a small one coming through somewhere about my rear a/c unit..I only get it in a real down I want to go up there and reseal, but I'm concerned about what I have to do to ensure I don't dent or wrinkle the there a secret to this?
Warm regards,

engineerich is offline   Reply With Quote