Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2006, 07:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
1988 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Georgia
Leaks: Advice from the experienced please!

68 Globetrotter 20'
I have my lower interior skins removed but not the top half. After finding and repairing multiple leaks (so I do sort of know where to look and how), I still have a couple of leaks that I cannot pinpoint. I have made several attempts. They run behind the upper skins.
Question: Do you recommend removing the inner upper skins to get a closer look or would you keep parbonding away at every rivet and seam in roof.
I guess I'm asking if it is worth the trouble to remove upper skins?

Thanks
Danny
68Glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Danny -- I'd look at major roof openings before glopping everything in sight. Multiple things come to mind but have you replaced the gaskets in your plumbing roof vent(s) yet?

The factory & RV techs use a thinner consistency product to seal sheet junctions. Search the Forums on Acryl-R. I haven't used it so can't talk much ... but that'd be one thing to look for.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I sure wouldn't take the ceiling down if you don't need to. I found a few leaks (about halfway up a segment seam) by using an air nozzle. This works good on endcaps also.

Get the "needle" attachment for your air nozzle. Remove a pop rivet from one of the inside seams near where you want to check. Set the air regulator very low, so that you get just a few psi coming out of the nozzle.

Insert the nozzle into the rivet hole, tape the trigger open. Spray the outside seams with soapy water and I think you will see large bubbles where there are leaks.

Of course if the bottom of the inside sheets are hanging loose, you may want to tape them in place with masking tape ot duct tape. You don't need to make them airtight, just enough to get a little air pressure between the skins.

I tried this and it works.

If you have exposed seams, you can run a length of duct tape along the seam and test it the same way by putting the air nozzle into the tape. Just leave the tape a little loose directly above the joint.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Smoke test

You can probably rent a gizmo that insulation contractors use a lot - it creates a harmless smoke and you basically pressurize your house (or Airstream) by closing and taping all of the vents, doors, windows,etc., then putting the smoke inside. Everywhere it wafts out is a leak.

Some RV dealerships may offer the service too.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
See SNUZE » Blog Archive » Finding Leaks for some ideas. Some folks have had good success using leaf blowers or even the high power roof vent fans to get enough inside pressure to find leaks with soap bubbles.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
1988 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Georgia
Thanks ya'll. Sorry I "asked and ran" but I had a tree fall and knock out my electricity.
Yes I have removed all the pipe vents and replaced them. I used a gasket and parbond. I have caulked the fan and the other large hood in front. I cannot reach the antenna and cable input as it is right in the middle. But I will get there. They are just so far away but my trailer could be just enough off level that it runs all the way back and over. I like the pressurized ideas. I think I will put that together.
68Glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote