Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2004, 03:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

leak someware

To the left of the door i have a damp spot i have replaced all the seals including soil stack kitchen stove vent and refrig vent windows and door dose anyone have any ideas as to where my leak maybe
Will Ackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

It may be coming from a rivet or a seam up high and running down between the walls.
Look it over closely from top to bottom for an area that may be letting the water in.
Dont give up, and dont use silicone.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:08 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I closed up a mystery leak by using Parbond to reseal all the seams on the outside of the trailer. There are hints on the forum. I used masking tape to keep it from getting where I didn't want it, and cleaned and resealed each seam. Sounds like you must be getting close to finding it if you already sealed all that other stuff.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:20 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

We had a leak in our 04 ccd Bambi that came from under a seam in the wall near the front of the trailer. Come to find out there was three open rivit holes on the Top of the trailer. When it rained hard water intered the top , followed a spar down to this panel then ran out from under it and down the wall. Where you see the water may not be anywhere near the actual leak.--Pieman
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:27 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Ackerman
To the left of the door i have a damp spot i have replaced all the seals including soil stack kitchen stove vent and refrig vent windows and door dose anyone have any ideas as to where my leak maybe
Will,
What year of unit, do you have a dead bolt? Mine was one source of leaks, TV antenna is another major suspect. There is a "stringer" that runs the length of the trailer, the leak could be anywhere along above that stringer and that is just where it comes down at. Another major source of leaks can be the awning rail...with or without awning installed. These are just of the few sources of known leaks

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
You don't give much info as to your type/mod of AS but it could be the AC depending on the AS. There is a drain line running from the AC to somewhere in the wheel well. If stopped up a leak can show up anywhere depending on how the AS is setting.
It "was" a problem for me. Leaked around the AC sometimes and over the door sometimes. Now when parked for extended time I cover the AC to prevent dirt/dust buildup.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Ackerman
As you come in or as you go out? if it is to the left as you go in then you should look to your galley for leaks as well as the out side, such as fridge vents and windows over the sink if you have a curb side kitchen. Also fridge condensation once defrosting or shut off may drip out and then back towards the door.

If it is to the left as you go out - then this is more likely a window being the culprit. (as well as any number of seams or vents) - even down to the awning screws - basically anything that penetrates the skin has a potential to leak over the years. Don't forget to check all the running lights a little dab of parbond with a Q-tip right on the top of the seem between the light and the skin works wonders. This is where we were having a leak - it ran from the light down the wire onto a frame and then out through one of the little reading lights in the forward bulkhead. That one took a while to figure out! and a bucket stayed in place for the whole spring until we found it.

Another culprit is on the 69'-70 somethings the window eyebrows have two open hole rivets that mount the top hing to the window - water does get in and drip on the inside of the window if the holes are big enough - this then fills up the window well - overflows after time and then continues on its way DOWN in which ever direction is the fastest. Again a bit of parbon does the trick.

Another bad place for leaking is the rubrail. If you notice there is not a Vintage unit out there that has not had a rock fly up and damage the banana wrap - this can bend and twist the rubrail just enough that you don't notice it but water can catch on the top of the rub rail and get in.

And one last culprit I can think of is a very small pin hole leak in the hot water tank - which can give you the false impression that it is a pipe leak when in fact it is the tank itself. To check this thoroughly you have to take the tank out and and take it appart - or if lazy you could introduce die colouring and watch for the pretty colour to appear on your floor .

We used clear for now just to get her all sealed up unitil the big polish session starts this coming summer.

Happy leak hunting - leaks are half the fun of owning an airstream better on land than in the water....... yacht.....sinking.....etc
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
leaks are half the fun of owing an airstream

Then I am having a blast! Thanks for letting me know how much fun I am having. Vulkem arrived today. Temps in the 50s this weekend. Guess what I'll be doing...
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay
leaks are half the fun of owing an airstream

Then I am having a blast! Thanks for letting me know how much fun I am having. Vulkem arrived today. Temps in the 50s this weekend. Guess what I'll be doing...
Ha ha ha too bad I can't type or spell ye ha - "owing" instead of Owning I just went back and corrected it...but then I thought most people would be owing on their airstream too - in one way or another.

Discovered a leak today - just a little one but now it is frozen so we can not take care of it - just on the window that is siliconed to death by PO and we never got around to cleaning it up this summer. Another job for our florida vacation. Gees at this rate we may as well just pull into a walmart or camping world and pull out the tools!
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:40 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Thank's to all your info. I will start with the awning rail, then the antana,from there who knows. By the way it's a 69 Safari. Thanks again Will
Will Ackerman is offline   Reply With Quote