Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2018, 01:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Apopka , Florida
leak: need ideas

So I have a 2013 25' FC FB. The large rectangular window on the front, behind the rock guard has a leak in the upper conner where the window gasket joins at a 45 degree angle. I have tracked the leak to this spot. I have new gasket material to put in as the gasket is just really compressed after 5 years. My question is, how can I make this more water tight. It doesn't seem possible to just bend the gasket into the corners. It seems like the factory did the best by joining at a 45 degree angle. Is there any way to join the gasket material/ weld it together in the upper corners? That would make it one solid piece. What have others done?
rfequity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:03 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
My window was leaking and I took it to Jackson Center for a leak test they replaced the seal and it was also leaking where the solar guard was attached to the skin above the window they removed it and resealed it . You might want to check there also .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I had an '07 that had a front window leak. The source was actually the hinge for the rock guard. Resealed the top of where the hinge attaches to the shell, problem solved.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:13 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
To make the gasket 'compress' more at the top is difficult. It is not easy to movethe hinge position.

However, in the 'corner', cut a 45 degree corner with a SHARP, NEW razor blade, repeat on the other corner so the ends meet up as a "corner joint" similar to a picture frame. Then, using the 3M black gasket glue, carefully apply to the joint. Press and hold together as the glue directs.

Now, the 'new' gasket should not be as compressed as original and should compress a bit when closed.

TIP.. I put Saran Plastic wrap over the corners then closed the window on it.. =) working for 5 years.

If you do not get 'compression' of the gasket, there are other steps ...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote