Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Leak in my AS!

Greetings all, I have a leak in my 2005 19' Bambi. The leak is clearly associated with rain, so I must have to plug up a hole somewhere. The water is coming out under the fridge and ruined the access door under the fridge. I have been surprised at the amount of water that shows up after a rain... Anyone out there had a similar problem that could suggest where to begin the search? Have had the rig parked inside all winter but she's coming out for the season and I have to try to find/plug the hole... BTW: This just started to happen this past fall season.

Thanks in advance!

Bill
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Under the fridge? First place I would check would be around the fridge vent. That may not be where the leak is, but sometimes the obvious spot really is where it is leaking.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Leaks can be tricky in an Airstream. The discovered water leak can be many feet away from the actual point of entry simply because the aluminum construction will continue to funnel the water until it reaches the lowest point.

Save yourself some hassle and seek out a Seal Tech operator. They can pressure test your trailer and likely pinpoint the leak in no time.

Sealtech Manufacturing Inc. - RV leaks bubbles recreational vehicles
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Thanks guys! Hadn't heard of Sealtech before. I'll get a look at that... Have you used them? Is it a service you bring your trailer "in" for service, or a product you purchase? ...and I will also take a look at the vent to see what I can spot there too.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
I have read of several glowing reports of the Seal Tech process. I had it performed on the new trailer I recently purchased, but I was not on hand to experience it first hand and, of course, my trailer has no leaks. You take it to a dealer than performs the service, they positively pressurize your trailer using a fan attached to the roof vent and then apply a soapy bubble solution to the exterior or area of question. Bubbles=Leak. Apply sealant, and re-test as necessary. The cost, if I'm not mistaken, was not trivial at around $250 but you can easily exceed that stress, damage and RV technician time applying sealant to every thing under the sun and STILL not find the exact source of the leak.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Excellent! Thanks Chris... I'll give one of the MN vendors a call and see about bringing it down for a run-down. I hate the little irritations like this... I love my rig, but have too little time to play as it is. My pleasure time is valuable to me. I'll let a pro take a shot at it, while I get on with some fishing, reading, sleeping, bicycling, or one of the other million interests that I have!!!! So many cool things to spend our time on... and so little time!

Thanks for the recommendation. All the best!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by skykingpilot
Greetings all, I have a leak in my 2005 19' Bambi. The leak is clearly associated with rain, so I must have to plug up a hole somewhere. The water is coming out under the fridge and ruined the access door under the fridge. I have been surprised at the amount of water that shows up after a rain... Anyone out there had a similar problem that could suggest where to begin the search? Have had the rig parked inside all winter but she's coming out for the season and I have to try to find/plug the hole... BTW: This just started to happen this past fall season.

Thanks in advance!

Bill
check in behind the fridge for any signs of chaulking that has cracked, split what ever.
Also check around all of you vents or skylights on the roof. If the vulkem shows any signs of deteriation replace it.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:24 AM   #8
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
you do not have to go the Airstream to have the test done, there are many RV shops that do this testing and sealing. I have been plagued by a persistant leak too. Be careful thought that the seal is not white silicon caulk.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote