Old 04-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 28
etters , Pennsylvania
leak in ceiling

Last week, while at our camper our son informed us that the corner of his cover was wet. The carpet beside his bed was damp also. I felt around the A.C. and it felt dry. While it was raining outside I looked again and noticed there was some water seeping from the seam in the cieling, about 8 inches from the A.C. Our camper is on a permanant spot and seems to lean alittle to the back. I thought that since the camper leans that way that maybe the seal around the A.C., on the roof, was leaking. My husband glanced at the roof last week and didn't see any cracks in the roof or anything. Going up again this weekend. Any Ideas? If it is the A.C. seals how's the best way to repair? Thanks

Old 04-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Maybe????? it's not a leak ( maybe )!!!!!!!

Sometimes campers that are in tip top shape are a little too air tight. They can actually develop their own weather systems. ( Again, maybe ) Dave

Old 04-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oats
Last week, while at our camper our son informed us that the corner of his cover was wet. The carpet beside his bed was damp also. I felt around the A.C. and it felt dry. While it was raining outside I looked again and noticed there was some water seeping from the seam in the cieling, about 8 inches from the A.C. Our camper is on a permanant spot and seems to lean alittle to the back. I thought that since the camper leans that way that maybe the seal around the A.C., on the roof, was leaking. My husband glanced at the roof last week and didn't see any cracks in the roof or anything. Going up again this weekend. Any Ideas? If it is the A.C. seals how's the best way to repair? Thanks
Check the "sewer vent pipe cover gaskets."

They are good for 5 to 6 years,. at best.

Andy
Old 04-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Check the "sewer vent pipe cover gaskets."

They are good for 5 to 6 years,. at best.

Andy
and this is exactly what happened on my trailer. bad sewer vent gasket...water dripping over the end of the bed, probably 8-10 feet away, and the ceiling seam is up higher than the vent! what happens is that the insulation in the ceiling soaks up the water, and it can wick it uphill. it could come out "anywhere".
I suspected the AC, too, as its the closest thing. But that wasnt' it. Not that this isn't your problem...it could be. different models of AC attach to the trailer differently, so exactly how/what to look for will vary. But as Andy says, that sewer vent is a very likely culprit.

I only got a drip inside when it was really raining hard. big "downpours". In light rain, it wasn't noticeable. I'd have to draw a diagram to explain it, but it makes sense.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I just replaced my Air Conditioner gasket and found an additional problem while in the process. Both were letting water into the trailer with no impedance.

Since I am not familiar with your AC brand, I cannot tell you for sure how to remove it. I would start by removing the interior ceiling control panel. After this, look for bolts that would be going through to the roof unit, and remove them. Once all the bolts are out, you can get up on the roof and remove the AC unit. Ensure you ONLY step on the ribs (Where all the rivets go across from side to side). Place a piece of cardboard down to move the AC unit to once you remove it.

Remove the gasket from the AC unit, and replace with new...too easy. When replacing the AC unit back on the roof, have someone inside make sure your gasket is seating properly around the 14x14 hole. Once it is back on, time to screw the bolts back into the roof unit. Ensure you don't exceed more than 5 foot pounds of torque on these bolts or the gasket could wind up worse than it began.

Hope it helps.

Steve
Old 04-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Here's a really good link for repairing your sewer vent...something I should probably get up and do in the near future.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...nts-24437.html

NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote