Old 05-31-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Ocala , Florida
Leak in both rear compartment?!?

We just found that we have a leak somewhere on 86 SOV. Looking in the rear compartments (both sides), there are 2 damp spots where water has started to rot the wood in the compartment. Both are located approximately right over where the I beams from the bumper run under the camper. But the floor of the compartments don't seem to rest on the beams. We have checked the lights, compartment gaskets etc. Has anyone else seen this and where should we start looking. My partner is not into tearing the coach apart. Any words of wisdom will help. Thanks

Old 05-31-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeydelsol View Post
We just found that we have a leak somewhere on 86 SOV. Looking in the rear compartments (both sides), there are 2 damp spots where water has started to rot the wood in the compartment. Both are located approximately right over where the I beams from the bumper run under the camper. But the floor of the compartments don't seem to rest on the beams. We have checked the lights, compartment gaskets etc. Has anyone else seen this and where should we start looking. My partner is not into tearing the coach apart. Any words of wisdom will help. Thanks
23 year old compartment gaskets are not likely to still do the "job."

Replacing them is far cheaper than having to replace a section of rotted plywood.

Andy

Old 05-31-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeydelsol View Post
there are 2 damp spots where water has started to rot the wood in the compartment.
Can you describe "started to rot"? You might still be able to treat the area with a penetrating epoxy and you might also need to patch the floor. How about a photo?
Old 05-31-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Ocala , Florida
I wanted to post a photo, but we are about 50 min from home at partners parents house and I forgot the camara.

Andy - we checked all of the gaskets on compartments and windows. They appear to have been replaced in the last few years. We have only owned it since January.

We are leaving it here for the week (we cannot work on it in our subdivision) and plan to work on it again next weekend.

Does anyone know if the top belt rail is an actual seam, it appears that someone tried to seal it with gooby sealant and it is failing.