Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Auburn , New Hampshire
Leak in 2008 27 FB SE near Front Window

We've had what we thought was a small leak near the front window of our 2008 27 FB SE since we bought it new. We would find the mattress a little wet from water that came down along the screen in the front window, while all windows were closed tight. After the rains of last week, about a gallon of water (or more) must have come in, soaking the mattress, and now the leak has my attention!

The first photo (Leak1.jpg) attached shows about where we think the water is getting in. The next two photos are where I'm suspicious water may be leaking in. I'm most suspicious of the caulking in the rain channel: That is about where the water seems to be getting in; and it would prevent the channel from draining. (click on attachments for full size)

Hoping some forum buddy has seen this before - and will make my "garden-hose debugging" easier. Thoughts? Thanks in advance! -Shep
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	82934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	82935  

Name:	Leak3.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	82936  
Shepstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Shortly after I brought our 20 foot Safari SE home I discovered a small leak in the front window very similar to yours. Took the trailer back to the Dealer and showed the RV Technician where I thought it was leaking. He not only caulked that spot but re caulked every seam around the window and the rail above. The problem was solved it has never leaked again. My advise take it back to the Dealer.

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
If you're within the 2 year warranty you should take it back if that's convenient. It's not like the factory can't understand this will be a recurring issue.

I had what sounds like the same leak from near the end of the middle rockguard rail. The rail top was sealed just fine but the screw at the end had no caulk around it. I pulled my ever-ready tube of Sikaflex 221 out of the freezer, squirted some into an irrigating syringe and injected under and around the screws. Problem solved.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
[QUOTE=CanoeStream;714091I pulled my ever-ready tube of Sikaflex 221 out of the freezer[/QUOTE]

Is this the secret to keeping and opened tube in useable condition?

I had a leak in the same area. The dealer tried twice, for the third try I went to the factory and they fixed it. In my case, I think it was the rail which they removed and re-installed.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If you haven't already, you should post this info here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ity-31210.html

It will help folks keep a central place for all things 2008. Just a suggestion.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
One day after a few hours of heavy rain, we found a puddle on the little table next to the bed. Tracing the water up to the window, we looked outside and found a small void in the sealant at the top of the window. A little sealant, solved.

It appears these voids open up over time. I just ordered Sikaflex for the future since trying to find it in a small town in northern Minnesota was impossible.

Bob, the tubes I've seen are for a caulking gun—is that the kind of tube you keep in the freezer? I find a large nail in the end of a tube of caulk usually keeps it in pretty good condition, but if freezing works, I'll do that too.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
It appears these voids open up over time. I just ordered Sikaflex for the future since trying to find it in a small town in northern Minnesota was impossible.

Gene

Just found this out myself as I took the Safari out of storage....seems that Andy from Inland was right that every season as the unit ages, it becomes more and more important to check and reseal where necessary. Oh well, could be worse right? Does seem odd to me that 2008 units would already need this. I know I don't take mine around the country like some, but it is 5.5 years old.....but a 1 or 2 year old trailer.....seems a bit soon to me, but what do I know.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
"seems a bit soon to me, but what do I know." It probably has to do with much travel and being outside in the high altitude intense southwest sun instead of in the frozen tundra. We also had leaks on the roof, probably from the skylight where the cover was cracking at all the screws. No washers to distribute pressure and screws tightened down too much. Also, maybe they made them better 5.5 years ago.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Fairburn , Georgia
I had a leak in the same area, resealed the front window and solar guard attach rail. Still had a leak. To make a long story short ---- the leak was at the top corner of the front curbside window. Water was coming in there, running around inside the walls, and dripping from the inside of the front window. Don't trust the obvious.
JackMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
....seems that Eric from Outland was right that every season as the unit ages, it becomes more and more important to check and reseal where necessary.
So right there! http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...his-47043.html

The opening in a normal needle syringe is a bit small for Sikaflex but it will work with a lot of pressure. I can get these without an rX in the vet supply section at my local farm-fleet store. A catheter syringe has a larger opening but isn't the best for careful application in my experience. Right in between is an irrigation syringe; my favorite is a Monoject 412. Cut off enough tip until you have a diameter that suits you.

To save partially used caulk I'll stick a 16d nail in, cover the tip with foil and rubber band it into a couple bread wrappers before putting it in the freezer. I'll let it return to room temperature before unwrapping. That keeps down condensation during use which can accelerate setting. Sikaflex 221 is very nice and skins over to the touch within an hour or two anyway. I get more complaints about birds in the freezer and that makes caulk a no-blamer...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:05 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Auburn , New Hampshire
Guys,
Thanks so much for the feedback. I'll certainly get in touch with the dealer to ask them what to do - they always ask "can you bring it by"; but it is a 7 hour haul each way. I suspect there may be some Sikaflex in my future. In any event, I'll post my results. Thanks again! -Shep

BTW: I neglected to add that the leak seems to happen when the unit is level to slightly curbside. This would support that it is the penetration in the curb side of the rain channel above the window. (Blue arrow in "Leak2.jpg" above). I'll let you know.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:38 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Auburn , New Hampshire
Seeing as the rain continues and I haven't had the chance to take any action other than to dry out what had gotten wet and place a few towels ahead of where the water ends up: I used the opportunity to document more precisely how the water is coming in. The photos show a drop leaching onto the screen at the top curbside of the front window, just between the rivet and the screw. I cant find any water above the screen bezel inside - nor is there anything obvious outside. The leak does not seem to change if the front window is open or closed. The leak is first visible at this precise location even if trailer has a slightly different roadside/curbside tilt. Based on this information, is there an obvious place to check next? Thanks in advance! -Shep
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	leak4.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	83141   Click image for larger version

Name:	leak5.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	83142  

Name:	leak6.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	83143  
Old 06-29-2009, 07:02 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down

Leaks....2008. I've said it before.

QC at JC= 20 acres of denial.

Our three season leak.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 011.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	83147  
Old 06-29-2009, 07:37 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
As others have said, do not be lulled into thinking there is only one leak. As with mice, if you see one you KNOW there are at least a few more hidden away. In lieu of a dealer service visit you might be able to negotiate for a tube of Sikaflex and some acryl-R and an applicator for making your own repairs. When the weather clears, we're sitting under the same clouds and remain hopeful that dry weather will return, go over the entire front end and patch any caulk that looks suspect. The windows are certainly the first places to start, but do not ignore the running lights, the vents and the antenna. While you're at it, check out the belly band and lights below the window, just in case.

Ours was a bit older when we found leaks, but once we started looking closely, there were many suspects. Then, just to make sure, we took it to GSM for a pressure test, and sure enough a few more were found.

Wishing you days of sunny weather.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepstream View Post
Seeing as the rain continues and I haven't had the chance to take any action other than to dry out what had gotten wet and place a few towels ahead of where the water ends up: I used the opportunity to document more precisely how the water is coming in. The photos show a drop leaching onto the screen at the top curbside of the front window, just between the rivet and the screw. I cant find any water above the screen bezel inside - nor is there anything obvious outside. The leak does not seem to change if the front window is open or closed. The leak is first visible at this precise location even if trailer has a slightly different roadside/curbside tilt. Based on this information, is there an obvious place to check next? Thanks in advance! -Shep
FWIW our 2007 leaked like crazy in the exact same spots as yours after a year of ownership. We put it away in covered storage last fall with plans to take it to JC this spring to get fixed. Even though we have been in several heavy downpours this spring, not 1 drop has come in despite doing nothing.

I guess it is time to head up on the roof and check everything anyways.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote