Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
Fort Fairfield , Maine
Leak help

In the photo, below the fuse box on the left side you can see a mass of wires coming out from the wall. This would be under the rear bath sink on a 79 Argosy 27' against the rear wall, road side. During heavy rains water will drip from these wires. I have sealed everything I can see on the outside. Any advice where these wires could be picking up the water and channeling in to the inside? Fortunately so far the floor damage is localized and won't be a hard fix, as I already have the belly pan in this area dropped as I am renewing all plumbing. Pardon my pic if it doesn't show, I still don't really have this figured out.
Thanks in advance.
Stumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpjumper View Post
In the photo, below the fuse box on the left side you can see a mass of wires coming out from the wall. This would be under the rear bath sink on a 79 Argosy 27' against the rear wall, road side. During heavy rains water will drip from these wires. I have sealed everything I can see on the outside. Any advice where these wires could be picking up the water and channeling in to the inside? Fortunately so far the floor damage is localized and won't be a hard fix, as I already have the belly pan in this area dropped as I am renewing all plumbing. Pardon my pic if it doesn't show, I still don't really have this figured out.
Thanks in advance.
Check the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets. They only last 2 to 3 years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
Fort Fairfield , Maine
Thanks for the comeback Andy. I just did that this evening. The rubber around it was shot, but plenty of good caulking under it, at least it didn't look like it could leak. I cleaned it off anyway and have some Proflex curing around it tonight.
By the way, I've noticed on many questions, some were mine, you are always there with great help/advice. From me, and for everyone, Thank you!! A pros advice is always great to have!
I wish I was within range of your shop.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks for the comeback Andy. I just did that this evening. The rubber around it was shot, but plenty of good caulking under it, at least it didn't look like it could leak. I cleaned it off anyway and have some Proflex curing around it tonight.
By the way, I've noticed on many questions, some were mine, you are always there with great help/advice. From me, and for everyone, Thank you!! A pros advice is always great to have!
I wish I was within range of your shop.
Thanks for the kind words.

Your not too far away.

Maine is still in the USA.

And so is California, at least for the time being. You know, politics, earthquakes.

Andy
Old 07-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
There are drains relieved into the sewer vents castings, the water collected on top of the gasket has to drain somewhere. The little weep holes get filled with debris very easily.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
There are drains relieved into the sewer vents castings, the water collected on top of the gasket has to drain somewhere. The little weep holes get filled with debris very easily.
When the sewer vent pipe gasket ages out, in 2 to 3 years, the water "also" goes around the black pipe, and into the walls or closet.

Then the real trouble starts.

While drain holes in the covers help, they are not a cure or fix.

Andy
Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
Fort Fairfield , Maine
I cleaned off the area around the pipe, caulked with Proflex, put on new screen on top of pipe and caulked the screw holes as I put new screws in. I did not put a rubber gasket, and this left a space between the vent cap and camper body, which helps drain off the water. At least that's my hope, gave it a good hose test tdoay and no leaks discovered anywhere, but I think this will be a good place to put on the list for a yearly check out.
Thanks all.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I cleaned off the area around the pipe, caulked with Proflex, put on new screen on top of pipe and caulked the screw holes as I put new screws in. I did not put a rubber gasket, and this left a space between the vent cap and camper body, which helps drain off the water. At least that's my hope, gave it a good hose test tdoay and no leaks discovered anywhere, but I think this will be a good place to put on the list for a yearly check out.
Thanks all.
Airstream shells "flex" when traveling.

That's the reason for a gasket that flexes.

I don't think just a sealer will do the job.

Andy
Old 08-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
Fort Fairfield , Maine
Once again, thanks Andy, I've done too many house roofs and too few campers. Never thought of that, I shall get one.
Dan