Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Grayling , Michigan
leak from the floor up to base of the couch

On our way back to MI from AZ we ran into heavy rain for several days...we were surprized to see water markings on the bottom of the couch on both sides. We were able to clean the water marks off, but I suspect the water came from the sheet metal pannel on the bottom of the trailer where the grey material from the lower sides is riveted together with the sheet metal belly pan. As far as I can see there is no sealer involved where the bottom is assembled--though tapping the sheet metal with my hand made water come out from between the rivets. Should this area be sealed, and if so with what. The trailer is a 2003 AS Safari, it has not leaked before--or since, as I only pulled it in dry weather the remainder of the way home. It now will sit outside in MI for the summer (where it does rain). Any suggestions--kalk, tape, both or neither. Any suggestions as to what might fix this problem and if it should be kalked, with what?
cando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I have similar stains... leak was from curbside window, dripping onto carpeted floor and leeching up the couch. Just another idea.... ??? Good luck - leaks suck. Or leaks leak?
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
1985 25' Sovereign
2008 19' International
Franklin , North Carolina
If you suspect the water is coming up through the belly pan you should fix those leaks right away as you have insulation between the belly pan and your sub-floor and the insulation will hold water for quite sometime.

I am in the process of repairing an AS I just purchased (1985 Sovereign 25'). The belly pans in the rear, same place the rotted out floor was, were full of holes and about to fall off. I bought some 2"W x 1/8"T aluminum from Lowes and cut it into 2" and 1" squares. Proceeded to carry those pieces under the rear of the camper and stitched the entire belly pan from the rear axle to the bumper. I used a big button rivet and utilized the factory hole by drilling out the old rivet. Each rivet hole was slathered with Vulcum before the rivet was popped. After the refabing the belly pan I applied panel sealant I purchased from the local auto store to help seal the seams. As an added benefit, when I replaced the sud-floor I attached Protex insulation to the plywood. I figure this will benefit me in 2 ways, 1) obviously the insulation factor and 2) giving the undersurface of the plywood more protection from the elements without holding water that may get in there. If you like I can send you pics of my repair. Just send me a PM.

Working on the belly pan is not fun at all. You will be sore and extremely dirty as everything nasty that is in or outside your trailer will accumulate there. It took me approx. 8 hours to complete the job myself. However this is the first day in the last three that I havent felt pain from doing it.
rc707 is offline   Reply With Quote