Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question Leak driving us nutz!!!

I know every one of these situations is different but I'm going to toss this out there anyway just on the off chance somebody has gone through the same thing. Trailer is 1988 29' Excella. There is a leak (I think) somewhere between the streetside window, next to the table, and the front wrap window. We have a section of the floor up because we are replacing it, adding new flooring and installing twin recliners in place of the couch. The leak will show up with even an overnight dew fall. If I put a light mist hose on it from the bottom of window lets say, to bottom edge of underbody wrap, (the dark grey) metal, a leak will develop in a few minutes as a trickle that runs from edge of C-channel into belly pan.
Any ideas? I have caulked every seam I can see from the front all around back halfway to rear of trailer. A couple years ago a (so called) Airstream Expert shop plastered a five inch wide strip of caulking all the way across the top so I doubt anything will leak through that!!
What..........?
Anniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
How are you misting the trailer to check for the leak? Starting at the bottom and working your way up? That would be the best way to check. Maybe you have a leaking rivet, or series of rivets. Or, maybe the leak is coming under the rub rail that wraps around the bottom of the shell. I would focus my attention there, misting slowly along the rub rail from front to back. If no leak develops, then move up the side of the trailer, again going slowly from front to back.

Good Luck! Hidden leaks can be sooooooooo frustrating!

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Leaks are an inherent problem with ALL travel trailers. Most of the time it isn't the seams or rivets that I find leaks at. window gaskets, and additions to the trailer (Antenna, roof vents, marker lights, etc).

Check those places, and let us know what you find.

Steve