Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Tifton , Georgia
Leak around Antenna

We have a small leak around (we think) the antenna. It drips down onto the ceiling board, then through a tiny hole that has a wire running through it, on to our hardwood floor. It's not a large amount but enough to eventually ruin the ceiling and floor. I have been advised to go up on the outside roof and caulk good around the antenna. First question. How do you climb onto the rounded roof from a ladder without slipping off? , and, will the caulking work?
This is a 1960 Overlander that we have been working on. That rounded roof really scares us.Any help would be so appreciated.
G. Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstlight View Post
We have a small leak around (we think) the antenna. It drips down onto the ceiling board, then through a tiny hole that has a wire running through it, on to our hardwood floor. It's not a large amount but enough to eventually ruin the ceiling and floor. I have been advised to go up on the outside roof and caulk good around the antenna. First question. How do you climb onto the rounded roof from a ladder without slipping off? , and, will the caulking work?
This is a 1960 Overlander that we have been working on. That rounded roof really scares us.Any help would be so appreciated.
Easy answer.

1. Lean a ladder against a window hinge, with a cloth barrier.

2. Get up on the awning side.

3. Wear soft soled shoes or sneakers.

4. Don't even go there if the roof is wet or damp.

5. DO NOT go forward or rearward of the awning rail.

6. Walk easy, don't jump around.

7. The above is what every mechanic does.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 24
Zavalla , Texas
Lean a latter carefully against where you can get a handhold. At the vertical rivets is best and do not put pressure on the end caps. Cushion the ladder against the trailer with something or use a fiberglass ladder. Most important, step on the riveted ribs as you move around up top.
Orlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Tifton , Georgia
Thanks for the answers, we're suppose to have heavy thunderstorms this afternoon, may half to wait and hope the ceiling or floor doesn't get ruined. Boy, I hate having to climb up a ladder and get on that roof. Can the antenna where it's bolted onto the roof be gotten to from the inside if a ceiling panel is removed? Still looking for a easier way out.
G. Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I lay a scrap of carpet against the trailer where it makes contact. If I can reach what I need without leaving the ladder, even better but I remove my belt so the buckle won't scratch anything. My wife is more than happy to stabilize the ladder. While you're up there, look at the seams, tank vents and roof vents for signs of cracked or missing sealant. As Orlop said, the lines of rivets that cross side to side show you where the ribs are. The ribs will support your weight, but don't step or kneel between them.

After you get the antenna base sealed, Winegard recommends lubricating the plastic elevator gear (visible when you're up there) with liberal shot of silicone spray. You will also see a lube port on the rotating part on the base. It should have a little removable plug in it. Stick the spray tube in there and give it a good shot.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstlight
... Boy, I hate having to climb up a ladder and get on that roof. Can the antenna where it's bolted onto the roof be gotten to from the inside if a ceiling panel is removed?...
There's nothing you can do from the inside. I'm in your camp, it's less than 10' up, but I don't like going up there either.