Old 09-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #1

2006 23' Safari SE
Cody , Wyoming
Leak above front window

Hi folks, I am new to the forum so bear with me. I have a 2006 Safari that has leaked from above the curbside front window since new. I live far enough from a factory repair station that it is not practical to return the trailer, so a tech at the factory was kind enough to send me some sealant and new curtains. I sealed above the window and the hinge for the tinted plexiglass. It seemed to work for a while until this spring when we were in a wet snow storm, and it restarted with a vengance. Hasn't really rained since. (It doesn't rain much in old Wyo in the summer.) Any ideas for future attempts. Will the water that is already in the walls cause damage?
Thanks in advance for the help. Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_070506_003[1].jpg
Views:	92
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	66783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_070506_005[1].jpg
Views:	90
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	66784  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_071006_001[1].jpg
Views:	83
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	66785  

Old 09-03-2008, 04:45 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I would be willing to bet the leak is coming from much higher. It is probably only coming out at windows. You know water can flow and change direction many times before it shows up. I would check the seams and any other penetrations in that area. I know you were hoping for "it is X" but that is where I would look. If you can find a local RV dealer with a seal tech devise it will make it very easy to find out where it is coming in.

If you see Nancy or Ed Webster while out in town tell them their nephew Frank in Baltimore said hello.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I have the same problem on my 2007 Safari, but street side. The dealer has fixed it temporarily twice. I made an appointment at the factory and am heading there in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know what they do on mine.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Well, before it starts raining again in Wyoming, I would give it the hose test to start. Open the window guard and starting low on the trailer, hit it with a good stream of water. Be patient,it may take a few minutes for the water to show up inside. Just work your way up and hopefully it will show it's evil self. It may well be something much higher on the roof and it's just rolling down. Been chasing leaks on our old argosy for awhile. It gets pretty frustrating actually, but just keep trying. Sooner or later you'll find it. As they say, Even a blind squirrel get a nut now and then.. Good Luck, George
Old 09-04-2008, 09:25 PM   #5

2006 23' Safari SE
Cody , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I have the same problem on my 2007 Safari, but street side. The dealer has fixed it temporarily twice. I made an appointment at the factory and am heading there in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know what they do on mine.
Thanks much, I reinspected everything in the area, and doped up the running light and the TV antennae, as well as reattached a rubber cap on the cable coming out of the trailer to the antennae. It has been raining here this week , we will see. Greg
Old 09-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #6

2006 23' Safari SE
Cody , Wyoming
Thanks for the help, I do see Ed around occasionally, I will give him your regards. Greg
Old 09-05-2008, 04:51 AM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Uncle Ed let me drive his Buick Woodie around town last summer. They just do not make cars like that any more. Nancy and Ed are fine people.

I would bet that the leak will be easy to find if you work the hose around as Gkiesle suggested. Maybe a spotter on the inside. I had a popped rivet on the roof near the center of the trailer causing a leak to show in the bathroom. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I was able to find my leaks with a hose and temporarily patch with a glob of butyl tape (to see if that was really it). But even with the dealer resealing, the leak comes back. I noticed right off the bat that window seemed to have much more sealer from the factory (as viewed from inside) so maybe it's a fit issue. I'll see in a couple of weeks.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #9

2006 23' Safari SE
Cody , Wyoming
I hit it pretty hard with a hose yesterday, no leaks. I think it was probably the running light. The real test is when we get a wet snow again... Thanks to all Greg