Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Late 70's pyramid shaped plumbing vents

My trailer is a 1979 and the plumbing vents on the roof are aluminum, sort of a pyramid shape, with the peak cut off. I've heard of the gasket on the round vents deteriorating and causing major leaks but was wondering if these type need any periodic inspection or have known flaws and if so, known cures. They look okay on the outside and I see no signs of leaks inside, but then again the vent stacks are concelaed.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
My trailer is a 1979 and the plumbing vents on the roof are aluminum, sort of a pyramid shape, with the peak cut off. I've heard of the gasket on the round vents deteriorating and causing major leaks but was wondering if these type need any periodic inspection or have known flaws and if so, known cures. They look okay on the outside and I see no signs of leaks inside, but then again the vent stacks are concelaed.

Christopher
The gaskets do deteriorate after a while and leak. They are available precut or you can make your own. I would just buy them, much easier.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Rogue River , Oregon
When you replace the gasket if they are like mine on our 1970 they will have a small drain hole in the lower part of the vent cap, it seem to get pluged easy. It lets what small amount of rain water that falls in out.
geezernbabe is offline   Reply With Quote