Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Kool Seal or Vulkem for roof

Hi All,

Got some roof leaks in my new to me Avion (yeah I know....but it is silver and one trailer is never enough ).

I was told by an Avion guru to use only Kool Seal on the roof seams. I read a whole bunch of postings on here about roof sealing. Looks like a lot of guys really like the Kool Seal. Others say Vulkem, but disagree on which vulkem.

What should I use to go over the roof seams?

thanks!
Old 07-07-2007, 08:02 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Jim, I used (white) Kool-Seal on the roof of our Argosy, it sealed the seams, and helped insulate it a bit. It was noticeably cooler inside after applying it. IIRC, there is white and grey, obviously if you use it, I would go with the grey, and you could probably coat the center panel to help with keeping the trailer cooler like we did with our Argosy. Supposedly, it will allow streaks to run down the side of the trailer, we never saw them, but the trailer was the same color as the streaks would have been.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Hi Terry,

I picked up two gallon jugs of Kool Seal at Lowes tonight. Got a jug of the patch, and then a jug of the elastomeric sealer. I did get white. I'm planning to paint the roof white anyway. I thought I remember reading on here last night where one guy used the patch to fill in the dried out stuff and then went over it all with the elastomeric sealer. Sounded good to me

Did you have to etch the aluminum first before putting the Kool Seal on? Or is it good to go right out of the jug? If its good to go, I'll put her on tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden

Did you have to etch the aluminum first before putting the Kool Seal on? Or is it good to go right out of the jug? If its good to go, I'll put her on tomorrow.

Thanks!
Our trailer was painted, but all I did was slop some out of the bucket, and roll it out with a cheap paint roller. I bought a gallon, and had about a quarter of it left over after two coats. It's supposed to last at least 5 years.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Hi Terry,

I picked up two gallon jugs of Kool Seal at Lowes tonight. Got a jug of the patch, and then a jug of the elastomeric sealer. I did get white. I'm planning to paint the roof white anyway. I thought I remember reading on here last night where one guy used the patch to fill in the dried out stuff and then went over it all with the elastomeric sealer. Sounded good to me

Thanks!
Jim,
I am pretty sure that stuff will stick with no etching. I did some patch repairs on my wife's storage trailer and my storage connex and both of them have aluminum roofs, and neither one leaks anymore. I am planning on using some type of elastomeric coating on my AS roof when it gets to that point. Whether Kool Seal or some other brand has yet TBD.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Thanks guys. I may try putting some of that on tomorrow. Supposed to be 95 degrees out tomorrow. Yikes!! May wait until evening
Old 07-08-2007, 06:48 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Thanks guys. I may try putting some of that on tomorrow. Supposed to be 95 degrees out tomorrow. Yikes!! May wait until evening
Do it in the morning, just after the dew dries. Then it will have all day to "cure".
Old 09-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Valley Village , California
I just stumbled on this thread so I haven't read very much about Kool Seal but, from what was posted here, I'm wondering what you think about painting the inside of the outer aluminum shell.

I'm going to be removing the interior panels for some electrical work and I'm not thrilled about the idea of painting the top of the AS white or grey.

If I painted it on from the inside, do you think it would seal it and help with the insulation?
amalgamator is offline   Reply With Quote