Old 04-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Madison Heights , Michigan
Smile Kool Seal

I bought a 1974 Airstream Overlander about a year ago. All last summer I worked at cleaning off all the silicone that someone put on to try and seal it. I then sealed around the trailer using either Vulkem or Parabond. I replaced the vent pipe gaskets. This spring I still have a number of leaks. It seems to me to come between the outer and inner wall and then run out at the bottom on the floor. I am now thing of coating the roof with white Kool Seal mainly to seal the roof. I have read a number of threads talking about sealing the roof with white Kool Seal. My questions are for those that have done this has it helped to seal out the water? Second my roof doesn't have the clear coat anymore so can I just paint the Kool Seal right on to the roof. Third it looks like I have the original A/C unit which needs to be replaced could that be where water is getting in? Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Robert
I bought a 1974 Airstream Overlander about a year ago. All last summer I worked at cleaning off all the silicone that someone put on to try and seal it. I then sealed around the trailer using either Vulkem or Parabond. I replaced the vent pipe gaskets. This spring I still have a number of leaks. It seems to me to come between the outer and inner wall and then run out at the bottom on the floor. I am now thing of coating the roof with white Kool Seal mainly to seal the roof. I have read a number of threads talking about sealing the roof with white Kool Seal. My questions are for those that have done this has it helped to seal out the water? Second my roof doesn't have the clear coat anymore so can I just paint the Kool Seal right on to the roof. Third it looks like I have the original A/C unit which needs to be replaced could that be where water is getting in? Thanks ahead of time for your help.
Kool Seal is great, but not on an Airstream roof.

When it rains, traces of the Kool Seal will run down the sides of the trailer, causing many stain marks.

The Kool Seal, might, fix one problem, but in turn, it creates some problems you don't need.

Andy

Old 04-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Hmmm

Quote:
When it rains, traces of the Kool Seal will run down the sides of the trailer, causing many stain marks.
It's been about 18 months and I still haven't seen any staining.

Am I out of the woods yet?
PizzaChop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:47 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Ron
I take it you did use Kool Seal on your Airstream roof. Did you do anything to the roof before painting the Kool Seal on? Did the Kool Seal stop the water leaks? Thanks for your in put.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:52 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Andy
If Kool Seal is not the answer is there some thing else or some place else besides the roof I should be looking at to stop the water from getting in? Thanks for your in put.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:54 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Loogootee , Indiana
May only be my opinion, but I think that the kool seal would take away from the overall look of the airstream. I've been chasing leaks in my 1974 Ambassador for awhile now but would rather chase leaks than coat the roof. It may be tedious work but will be worthwhile in the end.
I have had water leaking onto my floor in the rear bedroom plus water leaking in from the vista view windows. So far I've removed the windows and plan to rebuild, removed the belly pan, cut out the rotten floor, removed the interior panels, removed the tail light assemblies and drilled about a dozen exterior panel rivets. The work is suprisingly simple as long as you approach it with the proper mindset.
Look closely to the bannana wrap (lower exterior metal) and check the rivets/seams around the rear windows.
Good luck!
Old 04-16-2008, 07:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Bob,

Yes, I did use the white Kool Seal. It did seem to seal up all the tiny leaks (from rivets) that I had.

I used an aluminum primer (Krylon) underneath the Kool seal. I used two coats of kool seal. I masked off the perimeter (top piece of aluminum) before I painted.

I did notice last week that at least one rivet had cracked the Kool Seal so I'll need to touch that up.

As for looks, its not that big of a deal, to me anyway. My time is worth more than that.

Besides, now my roof matches my AC unit!

See pic below...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream webcopy.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	58401  
PizzaChop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
My 02 is white on top...is that not original?
If it's original I might as well seal it if/when I develop leaks. It currently has white stains running down the sides when it rains anyway.
Dave

AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote