Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
1986 25' Sovereign
St. Tammany , Louisiana
Question Just beginning to deal with issues on 86 Sovereign

Hi all, because there are a number of issues I'm having to deal with, I thought I'd post photos and questions under the General Repair Forum and I hope that you all don't mind my stupid questions. Sorry, but me and my hubby are newbie owners and as some of you know, I've been around the forums on and off since last year. Please be patient with me!
Yesterday, I promised to upload photos, and I'll attemp to do so here. I tried to take pics of all the areas of concern. There are a number of them!
The first and biggest problem I have is dealing with a leak from the curbside fixed window, which was replaced by a po without a new gasket and using what looks like plumber's putty. Do I have to remove the window and replace with a gasket, or should I just remove as much of the putty as possible and recaulk with Vulkem? Next, from what I can tell, the majority of the old Vulkem(?) caulking appears to be in need of replacing everywhere. Since the po used at least 3 different types of caulking material, I know that this should be removed before moving forward. Do you all recommend Vulkem or some other sealant/caulk? Thanks so much for your help. Am feeling a bit overwhelmed. --- Sandy in La.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1986 Sovereign 013.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	100846   Click image for larger version

Name:	1986 Sovereign 014.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	100847  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1986 Sovereign 030.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	100848   Click image for larger version

Name:	1986 Sovereign 031.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	100849  

3blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
just a mess

It is a mess but, you can just clean it up a bit at a time. Do not worry about it. The window can be re sealed by just cleaning off the old seam residues and then, carefully re applying a new Vulkem, Alcoa Gutter Seal, etc (lots of good recommendation here). No need to remove the window that I can see. There are silicone removers available too.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
1986 25' Sovereign
St. Tammany , Louisiana
Melody Ranch, Thanks for your helpful reply and I'm sorry I took so long to respond. Did speak with Andy at InlandRV and have some caulking/sealant on its way to begin making repairs. Am working on cleaning interior until then and getting ready to reupholster the gaucho and other fabric areas. Am not so intimidated as I was last week! Just have to figure out how to fully test the water heater, fridge, stove, etc. over the weekend. Will keep searching here on the forums for good advice from you guys and girls. Thanks again, Sandy
3blessed is offline   Reply With Quote