Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2006, 11:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Edmond , Oklahoma
its an airstream not a sieve

so i have an on going water leak issue when ever it rains
this is a 68 tradewind
the major leak issues are
a fast leak (constant water flow) at the either the left (streetside, driver, oppisite from door) small upper corner or the window just below it
second a slower leak (not over flowing) that is draining into the galley overhead click light (the four bulb, square, center opperated) tray (cover, lens, shade)
the last major leak is a slow leak (shows in a hard rain) at the joint of the upper and middle interior skins in both the closet on the right (curb side) and above the bed on the left (street side)
i have tried to isolate this last leak and have re vulcumed the a/c skirt(i removed and replaced 24 sheet metal screws that secuerd the a/c to the roofand vulcumed between the skirt and the roof) and also replaced the putty that seals the opening for the a/c wireing and tubeing

so i am intersted in oppinions about sources and testing methods
window reseal jobs
and exterior panel reseal

thanks
matt
reynolds431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
This can be really frustrating. First the side with the door is called the curb side and the other side is the street side. An old timer at a rally, once told me about finding a leak on his trailer. What he did was to tape down a tarp over a section of his roof leaving a section exposed. Then using a garden hose he would spray the roof if he saw no leak he then moved the tarp. He continued this process until he found the leak.
Good luck to you, I am sure you will find it before the summer rains come flowing.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
I have two observations for you:

1) Your first mentioned leak is probably in the window mechanism. First, run a bead of Vulkem along the very upper edge of the window frame on the outside. Next, you need to search on silicone and window and caulking. Andy at Inland RV described how to do this with the curved Corning windows and mechanisms. Also, replace your window gasket if it is old and cracked. Mine do leak occasionally.

2)Your last described leak sounds like the waste vents. This also could be your second leak, just running across the inside panels. These are the outside vent pipes and the covers may need to be replaced and resealed.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Edmond , Oklahoma
good ideas

yah i was wondering just how to isolate sections of the roof for the garden hose test
i've been looking at thoes vent covers but had not quite decided to replace them and they do look bad
side question- how many rivets hold the vent covers in place mine look to me to have a lot (9 or more)
on the vulcum- how can i remove the extra vulcum so it will only be in the seam? tape>lay bead>use somthing flexy to push the vulcum into the seal>remove tape
use 2'' tape or wider
thanks
matt
reynolds431 is offline   Reply With Quote