Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Installing new door gasket

I'm putting on a new door gasket. Cleaned off the old and now ready to put on the new. The only problem is the new gasket seems a little different from the original. It has a peel-and-stick backing on one side. Also, the old was glued to the door on two sides and fit over metal points. The new has holes, but I'm not sure they are there so you can fit the gasket over the metal points on the door. Thoughts?

I ordered it from Out Of Doors Mart and double-checked to make sure it is the correct one. It is.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
I'm putting on a new door gasket. Cleaned off the old and now ready to put on the new. The only problem is the new gasket seems a little different from the original. It has a peel-and-stick backing on one side. Also, the old was glued to the door on two sides and fit over metal points. The new has holes, but I'm not sure they are there so you can fit the gasket over the metal points on the door. Thoughts?

I ordered it from Out Of Doors Mart and double-checked to make sure it is the correct one. It is.
The proper entrance door gasket installation, requires the use of weatherstrip adhesive, applied to the self sticking backing.

We prefer the black adhesive, since it has much more holding power than the yellow adhesive.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Caravanner
Newnan , Georgia
Do you have any pics of the installation, I'll be replacing my gaskets for my ext door soon and would like to see how yours turned out.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
yeah, i'll take some photos. it was pretty easy.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
We bought our door gasket and gasket glue from Andy on our last trip to Cali.
We plan to replace it when the weather warms up so were interested in the answers here at this post as well.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Caravanner
Newnan , Georgia
I'm going to have to rework my sprung exterior door before I put my new gaskets on.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
Worldturners

1976 31' Sovereign
San Antonio , Texas
If you make it back around to this, we will be replacing ours within the next month. We would love to see photos too. They're so much easier to follow . . .

tdturn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Sorry I haven't gotten back to this. I can't find the photos I took. I actually followed the steps others posted. It was very easy. I pulled off the old gasket, then cleaned off what was left with adhesive remover and putty knife and a steel brush. I then wiped down the area with mineral spirits. I got the door gasket from Outdoor Mart. I think Inland RV carries the same. The wide/thicker side of the seal goes on the inside of the door, so the tapered side faces out (look for pics others posted.) I used the the 3M rubber adhesive (chose yellow, but wished I went with the black for looks). You spread it on like butter, both on the door and the seal. I used painters tape to hold the seal on as I installed it around the door and especially around the corners. Be sure to clean off any excessive adhesive before it dries. Hope this helps!