Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sammamish , Washington
Installation of D gasket

Thanks to all your help on cleaning the windows. Now I need to install the new D gaskets. But I don't know whether to put the thicker side on the inside or the outside of the perimeter. Which is it? I received the materials for Inland R but there were no instruction on which side of the D gasket goes on the inside vs the outside. Which is it? Thanks.
Kathie Neir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I don't know the answer to your question, and actually don't understand your question as I've replaced the "D" gaskets before, but I would ask the folks you bought it from.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Neir View Post
Thanks to all your help on cleaning the windows. Now I need to install the new D gaskets. But I don't know whether to put the thicker side on the inside or the outside of the perimeter. Which is it? I received the materials for Inland R but there were no instruction on which side of the D gasket goes on the inside vs the outside. Which is it? Thanks.
Kathie,

Just stick it back on like the old one came off. The flat side of the D seal attaches to the outside metal part of the window frame so that when the window is closed the glass compresses the seal and forms a seal.

Hope I understand your question.
Olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olie View Post
Kathie,

Just stick it back on like the old one came off. The flat side of the D seal attaches to the outside metal part of the window frame so that when the window is closed the glass compresses the seal and forms a seal.

Hope I understand your question.
Use 3M super weatherstrip adhesive, that will properly hold the new gasket in place.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Klatawa (to travel)

1965 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Bremerton , Washington
Katyhie
I dont beleive that it really matters which side is installed first. I placed the wider side in first, then worked the narrower side in. The old D gasket was hard and shrunk up and used a box knife to cut one side the pull the pieces out.
When installing the new gasket I started at the top on one side and work down then across the bottom and up the other side with no seams. The only thing I tried not to do was stretch the gasket as I installed it. The only issue we have now untill the gaskets conform to the windows is that it some times take two of us to close the windows. One to push on the outside the other to latch them on the inside.
We replaced all of the window crank mechanisms, glass, glazing, and gray window trim.

Dave
2015 Chev Silverado HC
Klatawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sammamish , Washington
If you look at the end (cross-section) of the D-seal, there is a very small lip that extends one side of the straight line of the "D" about 1/32". The small extension is on only one side.

The question is "Does the small lip go against the inside edge of the glass frame or does it go towards the outside (the weather side)?"

The old gasket was a "V" type with the sides of the "V" pointing toward the trailer.
Kathie Neir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Neir View Post
If you look at the end (cross-section) of the D-seal, there is a very small lip that extends one side of the straight line of the "D" about 1/32". The small extension is on only one side.

The question is "Does the small lip go against the inside edge of the glass frame or does it go towards the outside (the weather side)?"
Now I understand your question. It does not matter as the "lip" you speak of is only there because the "D" material is actually extruded as a double D, and that lip is a remnant of the joining material when it's taken apart making a single D.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Have a look at .

It's the "Classic Rides" DIY series, this is their episode on refurbing the windows.

They don't seem to use the "D" gasket material, but as mentioned above, I don't think that there is an important reason to install the gasket with the fat side in or out.

Note though that, while they agree with Andy's use of black cement, they do put the seam at the bottom, to avoid water leaking in the top.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Have a look at .

It's the "Classic Rides" DIY series, this is their episode on refurbing the windows.

They don't seem to use the "D" gasket material, but as mentioned above, I don't think that there is an important reason to install the gasket with the fat side in or out.

Note though that, while they agree with Andy's use of black cement, they do put the seam at the bottom, to avoid water leaking in the top.
The correct replacement window gasket, is a single D as specified by Airstream.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
Just remember to use silicone spray or some other lubricant on the gasket before closing the windows permanently for the winter. I would even occasionally open them throughout the winter just to make sure they don't stick.

I did not and went to open my two curb-side glass windows late in the season and a good portion of the gasket was stuck to the window. I had to remove all the "new" gasket material from both the window and frame and do it over again.
star kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Use 3M super weatherstrip adhesive, that will properly hold the new gasket in place.

Andy

Yup... and make sure you get the black stuff rather than the yellow; it's much stronger and is less noticeable to boot.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote