Old 07-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
FWIW, I found that water would not drain off of the channel above the windows and would instead run underneath the channel until it found the clam shell hinge and leak behind the glass into the wells. By dabbing on some aluminum caulk on the ends of the channel, the water would actually run off as it should. Pretty simple fix.
That's interesting mojo.

It does seem that water gets into that C-Channel (?Clam shell) hinge & runs down the inside of the glass into the well. I tried caulking that area that area but did not see any success like you did.

Do you have any pictures of what you did?

-evan

Old 07-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Note that small holes are often problematic for water drainage due to surface tension effects. A bit of ivory soap in the tray will lower the surface tension should the water level build up.

- Bart
Good idea!

So far any water seems to sluice out of there quickly. There is a very satisfying sucking sound when I test it with a hose.

-evan

Old 07-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampthang7 View Post
Nicely done project. I drilled a quarter inch weep hole in my channels to allow the water to wick out. '71 sovereign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtreegirl View Post
Great thread - thanks for sharing!
I had actually drilled a 1/4" hole into the window well from the outside of the window trim - when I had the gaskets replaced at Jackson last fall, the tech caulked the hole up! I might re-open it - the way you did your project (removing the skin) is WAY too advanced for me.....but the better way to go.
I considered doing this as a much simpler fix but was concerned that a drain hole exiting right at the bottom of the window well would provide a conduit for more water to be driven in - especially in the front when underway at highway speeds.

Do you have any pictures of what you did?

-evan
Old 07-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by truxpin View Post
What a timely post. I noticed this week that both front & rear window wells are filling during the heavy rain we've been having. Previously the AS was kept in a semi-sheltered area and not affected. I'm planning on doing some "inspecting" on Sunday & I now have a good bit of info to start me in the right direction.
The thought of pulling off the interior skin and drilling through the bottom is a rather daunting thing, but it was easier than I anticipated and it allows you to get a good look at where water may be entering. Until I did this, I assumed the water was simply getting through the clamp holes but found it was also coming through the mitered corners.

The window seal and mechanism is a lousy design but I feel it's quite important to fix it...

NJtoNC's suggestion above, of using a flared copper pipe might be more elegant than what I did.

-evan
Old 07-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I don't think I have this problem even though we have the same model and year trailer. Our rear window was resealed at the factory years ago after I discovered some water coming down on the inside of the skin above and below the dinette table. They took off some trim around the inside of the window and took out the original sealant and squirted lots of new sealant in the spaces. The front center window leaked a little where the small table is next to the queen bed and I put lots of sealant on the outside of the window. It was an ugly job (I was in Fairbanks at the time and only had black Sikaflex) but the rock guard windows hid it. Didn't leak again.

I don't know whether this is related to the problem of water pooling in the window. I have never noticed that. Of course we have a lot less rain here in western Colorado and the chance of seeing a problem is less.

Evan, how did you discover this problem? Is it related to the wet subfloor? When I exposed the floor in the rear 2/3 of our trailer I didn't find the kind of wet subfloor you had, but I haven't looked at the floor under the carpet in the bedroom.

Gene
Old 07-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #20
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Ran caulk above the gutter and it still leaked but when I put a dab into the end of the C channel underneath, it stopped leaking. Bad photo but...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4739.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	191943  

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I don't think I have this problem even though we have the same model and year trailer. Our rear window was resealed at the factory years ago after I discovered some water coming down on the inside of the skin above and below the dinette table. They took off some trim around the inside of the window and took out the original sealant and squirted lots of new sealant in the spaces. The front center window leaked a little where the small table is next to the queen bed and I put lots of sealant on the outside of the window. It was an ugly job (I was in Fairbanks at the time and only had black Sikaflex) but the rock guard windows hid it. Didn't leak again.

I don't know whether this is related to the problem of water pooling in the window. I have never noticed that. Of course we have a lot less rain here in western Colorado and the chance of seeing a problem is less.

Evan, how did you discover this problem? Is it related to the wet subfloor? When I exposed the floor in the rear 2/3 of our trailer I didn't find the kind of wet subfloor you had, but I haven't looked at the floor under the carpet in the bedroom.

Gene
Hi Gene,

I recall you relating your adventures at Jackson Center & having those repairs done.. I also remember reading your Alaska trip account & how you used *Black* Sikaflex on the front window leaks you had. I thought of you when I was doing a messy job of caulking mine; I tried to console myself that it would be hidden behind the front rock shields just like Gene's.

I suppose we do see a lot more rain in our travels here. Although Victoria is relatively drier than the mainland, we do live near a lot of rain forest.

It didn't take any detective work to see this issue. Virtually every time we would drive in heavy rain or spray, the window wells would be filling up. We tried driving with the windows slightly ajar. this would allow some of the water to run down the inside glass & drip out to the outside. We would also stop in rainstorms to pack paper towels in the wells to try & absorb enough to prevent spillover. To a lesser extent we would see some pooling at night when we were sleeping in the unit. Occasionally it would penetrate enough to run down the inside walls & wet the carpet or night stand. It didn't seem to do this so much in storage though - I don't think.

The floors were not too affected in the bedroom area - the floor was only wet in one small area where the belly band had no caulk & water was draining down off the roof. (Port side where the front round sheet metal transitions to the side sheets...near the GVWR stickers.) The window problem did not seem to be admitting enough water to affect the floors but it certainly bothered me to see it threatening to spill over the wells.

If you don't have the problem, that's great. It's interesting how we have the same AS unit but have had different issues to deal with.

-evan
Old 07-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Ran caulk above the gutter and it still leaked but when I put a dab into the end of the C channel underneath, it stopped leaking. Bad photo but...
Thanks Mojo.

I think I tried caulking my hinge area like that but wasn't impressed that it was all that successful. Maybe each unit has its own unique issues?

For me, removing the through-bolts and slathering them with clear sealant seemed be more successful in reducing some of the water volume entering the wells...

I never achieved complete success in eliminating the problem of water tracking down the inside of the glass - thus the drain solution.

-evan
Old 07-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Well, after an enjoyable Sunday spent tracking down a few leaks ( thanks to the daylong rain storm we desperately needed!) I've come to find the source of each ( 1 in front/ 1 in the back) leak and am happy to see, each is a minor fix.
On the front window (above the hitch) the seal in between the glass & trailer is mitered in the corners and due to age (exposure) it's shrunk and has left gaps in the corners allowing rain to enter during a good downpour.
In the back of the AS, we have the curved windows in our bedroom. The last few days(during all this rain we've been having) I've been finding a small puddle of water in the middle of my bedside table. A lot of searching turned up nothing. It seemed as this water was coming from nowhere! I first assumed it was an issue with the A/C unit above the bedroom. It doesn't have a plumbed drain line and I just assumed it had finally found it's way inside the AS. (wasted time!)
I finally found the source. A very small portion of the seal on the top of the curved glass looks to have seperated from the frame. I'm guessing some good prep work and a dab of something will fill the small void.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I slathered Sikaflex over the entire area around the curbside window and part of the center window a couple of times to get the leak which dripped down on the night table by the bed. The metal work around the windows did not look well done, especially at the corners as truxpin discovered. I used black because it was all I had with me (why I bought black at all escapes me) and I didn't think I could find any Sikaflex in Fairbanks. On that trip it rained most every day and we only had a few days of sun in Fairbanks, so I made the most of it.

It took me about an hour or more to get the stuff to flow since I had opened the tube before (I can't remember why—probably I thought it wasn't black). That made the tip so large great gobs of stuff came out and made the mess even messier. I also remember the curbside rock guard kept blowing back while I was trying to work, so I stuck a screwdriver between it and the body at the hinge—the rock guard them blew back toward the side of the trailer and the tip of the screwdriver gouged the body—that does show. While I did this I could look at Santa's enormous butt because we were at Santaland in North Pole and they have a 40' statute of Santa. It was a memorable experience. Once I finished I had to prop the rock guard open a bit to keep the Sikaflex from sticking to it, but it finally dried. The rock guard didn't blow around while it dried, so at least that didn't make it worse.

A bad job poorly done, but it worked for a while and I had to put some more Sikaflex on later. Black, of course, and another job getting solidified Sikaflex out of the tub with a screwdriver so it would flow again—finally all leaks stopped for 3 years now. No one knows how messy it is but us, so don't tell anyone.

Some people have had trouble keeping the rock guards closed as the screws that hold it don't always hold, but ours work, so far.

Gene
Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I have seen some water in frame, but not ever enough to run out on the floor.

Perhaps cleaning the glass and weather seal would stop the leaks? I keep the seals cleaned with 303 Aerospace protectant to keep them from sticking to the glass.

Perhaps a small adjustment of the locks would help minimize water intrusion, too.

Regards,

JD
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I slathered Sikaflex over the entire area around the curbside window and part of the center window a couple of times to get the leak which dripped down on the night table by the bed. The metal work around the windows did not look well done, especially at the corners as truxpin discovered. I used black because it was all I had with me (why I bought black at all escapes me) and I didn't think I could find any Sikaflex in Fairbanks. On that trip it rained most every day and we only had a few days of sun in Fairbanks, so I made the most of it.

It took me about an hour or more to get the stuff to flow since I had opened the tube before (I can't remember why—probably I thought it wasn't black). That made the tip so large great gobs of stuff came out and made the mess even messier. I also remember the curbside rock guard kept blowing back while I was trying to work, so I stuck a screwdriver between it and the body at the hinge—the rock guard them blew back toward the side of the trailer and the tip of the screwdriver gouged the body—that does show. While I did this I could look at Santa's enormous butt because we were at Santaland in North Pole and they have a 40' statute of Santa. It was a memorable experience. Once I finished I had to prop the rock guard open a bit to keep the Sikaflex from sticking to it, but it finally dried. The rock guard didn't blow around while it dried, so at least that didn't make it worse.

A bad job poorly done, but it worked for a while and I had to put some more Sikaflex on later. Black, of course, and another job getting solidified Sikaflex out of the tub with a screwdriver so it would flow again—finally all leaks stopped for 3 years now. No one knows how messy it is but us, so don't tell anyone.

Some people have had trouble keeping the rock guards closed as the screws that hold it don't always hold, but ours work, so far.

Gene
What a vivid picture that is! Hopefully you didn't get any if that Black Sikaflex on Santa's butt...

- evan
Old 07-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
I have seen some water in frame, but not ever enough to run out on the floor.

Perhaps cleaning the glass and weather seal would stop the leaks? I keep the seals cleaned with 303 Aerospace protectant to keep them from sticking to the glass.

Perhaps a small adjustment of the locks would help minimize water intrusion, too.

Regards,

JD
Yes. Thanks JD.

These are all good suggestions & make sense to try first but unfortunately, in my case, these maneuvers failed to work.

If a simple fix could work, it would be much better than going to all the extra trouble of installing drains.

I understand that I am not the first owner to be frustrated by this issue.

- evan
Old 07-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
I removed the rivets from suspect exterior body panels, roof vents, and window frames. Removed the old sealer/gasgets. Resealed, reriveted, and now no leaky.