Old 12-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #15
Just a bit obsessed!!!
1974 27' Overlander
1975 31' Sovereign
1965 26' Overlander
Charlotte , North Carolina
I have used the steel or bronze wool and then filled into and around it with the foam and it has worked well for mice and sealing openings They don't eat far into the foam when they get to the wool.

Ibenoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Seems like I always see things differently. I think sealing around the pipes through the plywood sub-floor is not very useful, and maybe harmful.
1. Some air return from the belly is necessary for the furnace to efficiently send more hot air down there. Some of those oversize holes are the air returns.
2. The duct from the furnace that goes down into the belly pan is a flexible duct, just hanging down in the belly with an open end. Any mouse that gets into the belly can find it's way through the duct system to the air outlets and into the interior. Or, a mouse can easily chew through the flexible duct at any point in the system.

It make sense to me to seal penetrations of the exterior belly skin, but not the sub-floor

2014 Silverado 1500 5.3L maximum trailering package (yes, I'm towing the 34')
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1977 23' Safari
Carberry , Manitoba
I'm not sure its actually possible to seal up the interior completely. I had forgotten about the huge cutout that my black water tank sits in. Now that would be awfully tricky to seal. Perhaps with reflectix or duct tape from above might be best bet. I think trying to seal the whole area inside the bellypan would be very difficult too, trying to seal where the tank drains come out would take some thought.
cp1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I used Chinesium ss for temp use around the electric cord entering and two months later it is corroding, doesn't even look like iron rust. Bronze or brass wool would be better, use it to seal and either foam or liquid nails to solidify, aluminum flashing was used on large holes. If wires are going thru make sure they are chaf protected. Mice are a problem so metal best choice to stop them from chewing thru.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
2013 25' FB International
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
They make a Great Stuff product that will prevent rodents for entering. Just back up one side with tape and fill the holes with the foam. When it dries cut it down.

New GREAT STUFF? Pestblock Insulating Foam Sealant

You can get it at Home Depot.

If you could have a superpower, what would it be?

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote