Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
MyFirstStreamer

1963 26' Overlander
Indiana , Indiana
Question How to remove old caulk, glue and crud?

I am about to reseal doors and windows. I tried goof-off and Lift-off in an attempt to scape out the old caulk, glue etc... WD40 works OK for caulk but can get a handle on the old glue and adhesives used to afix old seals etc... Anybody have a trick for scaping out old glue and years if accumulated crud around doors and windows? Tks, Z..
Zstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
One of the tool distributors sells an item that is basically a very large round eraser that coes into the chuck of your electric drill. It removes stickers, pinstripes, and adhesives, as well as adhesive-backed stuff. Supposed to be non-marring.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
3m makes on and it worked very well on a fiberglass shell on a fleet vehicle we worked on, never tried it on metal, but assume if its safe for fiberglass it is safe for metal, though you'd need to be careful the area doesn't get too hot, tons of friction. You can get it through almost any auto paint supply house. We tried caulking remover from Home Depot and it worked well, as well as xylol (or zylol) solvent from the hardware store took care of some of it as well. Plastic puddy knife can also come in very handy.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I used a brass or plastic brush wheel in the drill, then the dremel to get the stuff off of the two windows that I have done so far.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
MyFirstStreamer

1963 26' Overlander
Indiana , Indiana
Thanks! I am going to pick that up tomorrow. -Z
Zstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
3M makes a caulking remover that works great on silicone. It comes in a red and white(?) bottle that looks like a bottle of school glue. Apply it, let it sit for a couple of hours, caulking comes off in a string.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
3M makes a caulking remover that works great on silicone. It comes in a red and white(?) bottle that looks like a bottle of school glue. Apply it, let it sit for a couple of hours, caulking comes off in a string.
Do you know if it works on Vulkem & Sikaflex?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
On an earlier thread I read where somebody used De-solv-it for removing the glues from gaskets and weather stripping. I used it last weekend and it worked well on the glue for the gaskets, but not for the weather stripping on the screen door. From just trying different things such as goof of, steel wool, 3-M scouring pads, lots of elbow grease and De-Solv-it I got most of it off but not all of it. I also burned out my dremel using a wire brush with it. I still have a little bit to go so if anybody else knows of anything that works please let me know. I am speaking about the adhesive for the weather stripping for the screen door.

SIU Bound

Brian
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
xylol/xylene works great even on vulkem, even old stuff. not sure about clear coats though.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #10
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
MEK... it is the bomb. Cleans aluminum instantly and takes off any foreign substance. It dries very quick and the fumes make you smile from ear to ear. MEK, I highly recommend it. I just bought a 5 gallon of it specifically to clean up before and after polishing.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Albany , Oregon
[quote=SIU Bound]On an earlier thread I read where somebody used De-solv-it for removing the glues from gaskets and weather stripping. I used it last weekend and it worked well on the glue for the gaskets, but not for the weather stripping on the screen door. From just trying different things such as goof of, steel wool, 3-M scouring pads, lots of elbow grease and De-Solv-it I got most of it off but not all of it. I also burned out my dremel using a wire brush with it. I still have a little bit to go so if anybody else knows of anything that works please let me know. I am speaking about the adhesive for the weather stripping for the screen door.

SIU Bound

Brian
I used a presure washer on my screendoor and it came right off. This was pretty old so had been on there for a long time. Rancher Jim
rancher Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
Do you know if it works on Vulkem & Sikaflex?
I don't know that. It is called Caulk remover, I have only tried it on silicone. It works great for that.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:57 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
flint , Michigan
I can recommend the stuff I got at Ace Hardware called "Contractor" or something similar that works well. It really melts the clear silicon the the PO loved so much.
flashbackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:04 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Deer Park , Washington
I replaced all my window gaskets last year. I can't remember where I got the information but the thread I read to replace window gaskets said to use acetone to remove the glue after you scrape most of the gasket material off. It worked fine for me and its cheap. Use gloves!
custom67as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:25 PM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
MEK... it is the bomb. Cleans aluminum instantly and takes off any foreign substance. It dries very quick and the fumes make you smile from ear to ear. MEK, I highly recommend it. I just bought a 5 gallon of it specifically to clean up before and after polishing.
You should really be using a respirator. It will cause nervious system damage over time.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:35 PM   #16
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
MEK:

METHYL ETHYL KETONE
Old 05-13-2008, 04:16 AM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
You should really be using a respirator. It will cause nervious system damage over time.
Sorry, I was making a joke.

Folks MEK is at the very top of the solvent chain. If MEK does not remove it, it is not coming off. Not only will the fumes get you high as a kite, but the solvent actually will seep into your skin. Gloves are highly recommended too. MEK is acetone on steroids. Use it with caution. Wear gloves and a resperator that has a chemical filter in it. Most resperators come with filters for organic filter only, so a trip to a good auto body paint store or a real paint store like Sherwin Williams might be needed. Do not put it in a bag and inhale, that would be very bad for you.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
This is what the Scorecard.com has to say about METHYL ETHYL KETONE (MEK).

METHYL ETHYL KETONE
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:18 AM   #19
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
You must have a material data safety log in your shop... karma to you for that.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:59 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
aircraft stripper

Aircraft Stripper works great but wear a respirator. I bought a gallon to remove some zolatone and then found that it worked great for removing just about anything else.

Great stuff, but make sure to wear gloves (chemical resistant) and glasses.

Doug

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote