Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2006, 08:31 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
How prevalent are leaks in late 70's era airstreams?

Are they something that all trailers of this era are going to experience if left outside long enough. Do you have to reseal all the seams up top ever year? Is it a must to build a pole barn steel type over-roof if the trailer is to be left outside?
wacnstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:15 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Based on the response to this, I guess they are not too prevalent. Good news.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via ICQ to overlander76 Send a message via AIM to overlander76 Send a message via Yahoo to overlander76
Mine leaks in a few places (that I know of). I'm really wanting to build a pole barn or some type of carport to cover mine up. I'm not sure that re-sealing every year is required but you can do a search on this site and find plenty of posts on leaky AS's and not just the late 70's. Mine is a 76. I can't find two of my leaks.
overlander76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:08 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Yeah I guess if you are going to park it outside for a long period of time a pole barn steel peaked roof of some kind would be a wood idea.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:44 AM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
We had one leak - around the TV antenna mount. The gasket material failed. Was was really weird was were the water appeared inside - over the kitchen sink - halfway down the trailer. It wicked down a wire between the skins and came out a electric socket.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Regular maintenance

Hello... The trailer should be checked each year .. ie get up on the roof and check the antenna .. and the vents .. and generally check all over the trailer for need for silkaflex or parbon.. I believe not enough attention is paid to the putting parbon above the rubrail... Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
Hello... The trailer should be checked each year .. ie get up on the roof and check the antenna .. and the vents .. and generally check all over the trailer for need for silkaflex or parbon.. I believe not enough attention is paid to the putting parbon above the rubrail... Annie
Forgive my ignorance, but what is silkaflex and parbon? Are they gaskets, or sealants? Also, can one safely walk on the roof of these trailers without causing damage to them? Or is there a prefered method for getting up there to inspect seams and whatnot? Thanks!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello again

Parbon is used on small areas less than 1/8" and Silkaflex or Vulkem is used on larger areas ie above the windows or door , at bumper edge meeting trailer.. Do not ever use silicone on aluminum...as to getting on the roof.. best to use scaffolding ... safer and you must only put put your weight on the areas where the ribs are.. ie rivets going across.. a lot of leakage comes in thru the antenna .. we have removed all on our past 3 trailers.. we use satelite... Annie... do a search under parbon or vulkem..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
scaffold for getting on roof

see my scaffold at http://www.airforums.com/forum...tos-20568.html

the ladders are cheap and all you need is 8' of 2x10 for the shelf. a little foam protects the trailer and there really is very little compressive force on the trailer sides. I tie the top and bottom of the ladders together for added safety.

Question: what's the deal with silicon? does it hurt the metal? or does it eventually peel off, or is it that you can't get it off? I have made that mistake and wonder what to do about it, if anything.

Roger
Old 03-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3isnotenough
see my scaffold at http://www.airforums.com/forum...tos-20568.html

the ladders are cheap and all you need is 8' of 2x10 for the shelf. a little foam protects the trailer and there really is very little compressive force on the trailer sides. I tie the top and bottom of the ladders together for added safety.

Question: what's the deal with silicon? does it hurt the metal? or does it eventually peel off, or is it that you can't get it off? I have made that mistake and wonder what to do about it, if anything.

Roger
Thanks for the scaffolding tip, Roger!

I don't know how silicon affects sheet aluminum, but I see it more of a maintenance issue than anything. Too many people think silicon is forever, but it breaks down very quickly with exposure to UV rays and chemical exposure. As an Architect, I see the structural damage caused when people think they can apply a sealant and forget about it. Simple inspection, removal and re-application regularly can save lots of money in the long run. I've seen caulking of various types used against aluminum window and door frames on many of my projects with no ill effect to the aluminum itself. Plain old silicon on its own may be a different story though.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:36 PM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My 75 Trade Wind is currently has no leaks (knock on wood ). I had a leak at the kitchen exhaust recently, but I repaired it. I keep my trailer at a covered storage yard, not to keep it dry but to keep it out of the sun . We are currently at 134 days without rain.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:43 PM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
My 75 Trade Wind is currently has no leaks (knock on wood ). I had a leak at the kitchen exhaust recently, but I repaired it. I keep my trailer at a covered storage yard, not to keep it dry but to keep it out of the sun . We are currently at 134 days without rain.
az...it won't leak when it doesn't rain must suck being a roofer in AZ at the moment
My 75 does leak, but I strongly suspect it is due to neglect by PO's. I have been removing gobs of silicone and replacing it with Vulkem and Parbond. The leaks are going away...slowly.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:27 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
My 1977 has no leaks ,,,, (knocking hard on wood) I am the 3rd owner, I feel lucky
Old 03-01-2006, 08:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacnstac
Are they something that all trailers of this era are going to experience if left outside long enough. Do you have to reseal all the seams up top ever year? Is it a must to build a pole barn steel type over-roof if the trailer is to be left outside?
My '77 31' Excella had a leak around the street side Vista View window. It leaked into the inside by the window shades and dropped onto the foldout table. I had to clean out the old caulk on the outside and install new (Silkaflex).

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
There was a very simple solution in another thread that I found to be quite good:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...tos-20568.html

Good Luck!