Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
How does it get in ?

I have a leak in my back storage area.........not a bad one but it is wet near the rear bumper wood about two inches in.

My question is does anyone actually know exactly where the water gets in most of the time ?

Is it the rivets behind the trim molding ?

Does the aluminum sheets overlap so the water runs off the sides and down and not down next to the wood and then into the belly pan ?

Is this how it gets in ?

What exactly is the banana skins ?

Here is what I know and what I think........

I have a trim molding on my AS near the bottom, somehow water is getting into my wood from this area. I don't know if it gets in behind the plastic insert trim and then goes into rivet holes that holds the trim track on or if it goes in behind this whole trim and then gets in between the aluminum sheets.

This is driving me crazy because it just seems to be getting started and I want it stopped soon. The wood is still new looking and only slightly wet.

Could I just caulk the top of the trim molding well and then the top of the plastic molding that fits in the trim molding ? This would stop all water from going in from the top..........and allow it to just go into the bottom of the plastic trim and then sit there or run out by gravity.

In other words, to stop all trim molding leaks why not caulk top of trim and top of plastic insert all around trailer ?

Robbie R.
Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The first place I would look is the flat piece of metal on the top of the rear bumper that goes under the trim molding. The seal on the lower edge of the trim opens an allows water to go in to the under side of the floor. Water then soaks the flooring from the underside.

Also look at the top of the trim strip, but the bottom seam is more common

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
Thanks, I thought about caulking between the bumper and the trim but was afraid I would just seal water in and it would not drain out.

All of the top trim is sealed and the top of the plastic trim insert is now sealed..........can water go down and then back up into a rivet maybe ?

Robbie R.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You have to look at that flat sheet of metal that goes under the trim strip.
That piece goes in under the floor with the wood of the floor sitting right o top of it inside.

The trim strip is pop riveted to a C channel that sits on top of the floor.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
Thanks, that is a good description. I think I can cure this problem soon I hope.

Robbie R.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
I too have a bit of a leak question. I just noticed the carpet was a bit moist next to the queen bed under the window on the street side. We just had a big storm. Would that mositure get in from the window there in the bedroom? No evidence on the wall. I silocone caulked all around the exterior window today, should that suffice? I hear I'm in for a wet winter with horizonal rain occationally.

Thanks, Anne
connorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Anne,
Well, I'm certainly not the expert, but a leak can occur anywhere and the water can travel (inside the wall) all the way down to the floor. Or, maybe you really did have a leaky window. Did the seal around the windows look bad or deteriorated to you, and was that what prompted you to put caulk? BTW. It might not be a good idea to use silicone caulk on the aluminum of an Airstream. Others here might suggest the kind of caulk they prefer on a window.

Now, to address the OP's problem: That bumper area was the cause of significant unnoticed damage to my trailer. I feel real stupid for not investigating a long time ago, and on a regular basis. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456/bumper-area-leak-maybe-56674.html. I will certainly be paying the price for my neglect
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
They now make a silicone caulk for aluminum, it's silver/gray & it's made by GE and they sell it at Home Depot. I hear that Airstream now uses this type on the new ones.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Robbie,
We have a 1979 so I am not sure your 2000 was built the same in the rear. We had the same problem leak and it came from the trunk area. I found out on here that the sheet of alum that runs under the trunk lid and then under the the wall to the floor was letting the water run right in (which you heard in the above posting). We sealed that up and still had a leak.

Come to find out that inside the trunk, that same sheet runs over the frame and water was running along the underside of the sheet and then when it got inside to the edge of the sheet, it was sucking right up into the wood floor. I ran some vulkem around this and the leak stopped. I placed a mirror in the base of the trunk to see the top of the trunk area to be able to caulk it. Here is an awkward picture but it is of a mirror inside the trunk looking at the bottom of the roof sheet and where it meets the horiz. frame member. Note the caulking around it:

Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Have a look at this thread. It seems to be right on topic with your question.

Zeppelinium does a real in-depth study on what he terms an "inexplicable bumper design".
Old 10-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie R. View Post
I have a leak in my back storage area.........not a bad one but it is wet near the rear bumper wood about two inches in.

My question is does anyone actually know exactly where the water gets in most of the time ?

Is it the rivets behind the trim molding ?

Does the aluminum sheets overlap so the water runs off the sides and down and not down next to the wood and then into the belly pan ?

Is this how it gets in ?

What exactly is the banana skins ?

Here is what I know and what I think........

I have a trim molding on my AS near the bottom, somehow water is getting into my wood from this area. I don't know if it gets in behind the plastic insert trim and then goes into rivet holes that holds the trim track on or if it goes in behind this whole trim and then gets in between the aluminum sheets.

This is driving me crazy because it just seems to be getting started and I want it stopped soon. The wood is still new looking and only slightly wet.

Could I just caulk the top of the trim molding well and then the top of the plastic molding that fits in the trim molding ? This would stop all water from going in from the top..........and allow it to just go into the bottom of the plastic trim and then sit there or run out by gravity.

In other words, to stop all trim molding leaks why not caulk top of trim and top of plastic insert all around trailer ?

Robbie R.
Robbie R.,
I noticed that your unit is a 2000 model. Which means that it's been around for at least 10 yrs..When was the last time you check the sewer vent pipes for the black rubber seals? You should be aware these rubber seals need to be replaced every 3 to 5 yrs..! So many times, water leaks are traced back to this one simple overlooked item. If you haven't had them replaced and, you are the original owner..That would be the thing to check first.
Now back to the molding..That is on there not just for looks. It also designed to helps keep water from weeping in the rivets head.
I still feel, all things being equal, you should check your black rubber seals on top of the trailer.(sewer vent..you should have 2 of them..if not 2..one for sure)
Inland RV has them..
Good luck~!
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
Could I ask about the sewer vent? Is that the black plastic tube going up the little shelving area next to the closet in my 34' Excella? If it's leaking from the roof, you should be able to wrap your hand around it and feel the water running down it. Right?

I actually think I fixed my moist bedroom floor under the window by running a seal along that back strip I thought was just for deco. The original seal had cracked. The next time it rained, tada no moisture on the floor. But am now curious about the sewer pipe.

Thanks.
connorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorsa View Post
Could I ask about the sewer vent? Is that the black plastic tube going up the little shelving area next to the closet in my 34' Excella? If it's leaking from the roof, you should be able to wrap your hand around it and feel the water running down it. Right?

I actually think I fixed my moist bedroom floor under the window by running a seal along that back strip I thought was just for deco. The original seal had cracked. The next time it rained, tada no moisture on the floor. But am now curious about the sewer pipe.

Thanks.
connorsa,
Not sure if the black colour plastic pipe are your sewer pipes as I suppose they could change with production years. I have seen mostly lighter colour pipes used. (That not to say it isn't.) As far as feeling the water? The better way to do this is visual as water may not travel down the outside of the pipe. I would suggest..Outside, get up there on a ladder and looking down into the opening where the black rubber gasket can be seen. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, then...You could ask another Airstreamer close by to check it for you. It's not necessary to stand on the top to do this inspection. The replacement of the rubber gasket is fairly easy.You just need a screwdriver, new rubber gasket, some sealant and, the screen material.(used to keep bugs, etc out) Somewhere on the forum, the process is outline.
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote