Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
How Can U Detect Leak Before Damage Done?

I want to pose a question to get ideas about how one goes about detecting leaks in your trailer, so repairs can be made, before the leak causes extensive floor damage like I have. Because carpet was covered with plastic under my cabinets, I had leaks going for an unknown number of years before I found them.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ybe-56674.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...-oh-58049.html

Now I'm getting the repairs fixed and my entire floor will be covered with the Airstream stock vinyl/linoleum. So you have to wonder that if a leak occurs at the rubrail that allows water to seep in, how can you see/feel the moisture under the top floor covering? I guess someone can have the same problem with hardwood floor covering. The subfloor could be getting soaked and you will never know it, unless you have a plan to check.

I've asked some folks at Jackson Center and haven't found an answer yet. I thought maybe you could put some kind of fabric or strip "wick" under the edge of the floor covering with a piece sticking up. If this strip feels wet then there's a leak.

Anyone else have an idea how to do regular floor inspections for possible leaks and water intrusions? Obviously checking seams, seals and caulk is one ounce of prevention, but that alone is not the full answer.
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Contact Soldiermedic and have it pressure tested on a regular basis...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/memb...dic-17519.html

ifindrvleaks.com

Really sorry to see your trailer have such extensive damage - has to be hard to take...
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Not sure that would work all the time

I'll have to call them and describe my leaks to see if their system would work for my situation.

I had a leak caused by sotrm water collecting in the refrigerator compartment causing floor failure by the door. When they reinstall the frig, they will place in a slight angle outward so that collected storm water will drain out....not in. I wonder if the pressure system would find one of those leaks?

Another leak I have was in the rub rail at the bottom. I wonder if the the pressure test would find those leaks where water slowly seeps or soaks in.

I am confident. however, the system would work to ID window, vent, rivet, and seam leaks.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Don't want to speak for Steve but my guess is the rub rail would be detected. How did water get in your frige compartment... the door seal?

I'm going to try and end up at another rally with him sometime so he can do ours.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Seal-Tech
Old 11-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I removed the carpeting under the beds & storage areas so I can see the wood in those areas. Not the prettiest way to leave them, but I had rot under both beds when I purchased the trailer & couldn't see it on one side. I'd love to hear of a way to see the leaks in the areas that are carpeted too!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Frig Leak

Apparently, if the storm winds and rain were bad enough, especially when travelling on the roads, water would get blown in through the louvers. Now there is a bunch of rubber sealant that is supposed to keep any pooled water from leaking through that compartment down and into the trailer. My situation was compounded by the fact that the original builders tried to get that compartment perfectly level. This might be good for some frig operations but it allowed water to linger and leak if that rubber sealant failed. It did on mine. The frig is right next to the door on mine. The fix is to mount the frig with a very slight outward tilt, seal the compartment very well, and make sure there is a way for pooled water to escape back to the outside.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
I'm wondering about a moisture meter used to check to see if firewood is dry ?

If you could get this thing under stuff it would work.......

Amazon.com: HQRP JT-4G Wood / Firewood Moisture Meter - Wood, Firewood, Wall Damp Meter 4-Pins and Home Inspection Tool: Home Improvement

Robbie R.
Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Pardon my ignorance of newer models. When you open the exterior access to the frig. - there is no floor opening like the older units have...
Old 11-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #10

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hey TankerIp we know your plight. If we could keep mice and moisture at bay these Airstreams would last forever.

If you specifically want to periodically check areas for moisture then a moisture meter as Robbie suggests, would work. We use Delmhorst moisture meters at work. www.delmhorst.com I think an inexpensive unit would suffice for this application.

The issue with moisture meters is this does nothing to address elimination of the water intrusion. But it may help to identify a problem before it goes a long time undetected.

If you want to check for leaks then a pressure test is the way to go. As Ganglin indicates in post #2, there is a member that provides this service. And this recent thread presents a "Do it yourself" account.

www.airforums.com/forums/f44/home-made-pressure-leak-test-57333.html?highlight=pressure

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I could not find a picture of the back side of my frig. But here is today's pix of the inside of the trailer to show where the water went.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096pan.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	90376  
Old 11-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Moisture meter can detect water in the wood behind vinyl. I found a simple meter on ebay for less than 50, but only works by knowing relative value. Test when dry then again after rain.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote