Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
MyFirstStreamer

1963 26' Overlander
Indiana , Indiana
Question Hehr glazing strip...45 degree or?

Today I attempted to re-do my first window. All went well until I added the final piece... the glazing strip. Do you all have any secrets for doing the corners? Is it best to cut ALL ends at a 45 degree angle? OR run the top horizontal and the bottom horizontal all the way to the sides and then cut the vertical pieces at a 45 degree angle? I cut 45 degrees only on the vertical pieces and tried to overlap...it does not look as nice as I was hoping...I put a pinch of Vulkem on the corner and now have them held in place with 4 vice's.

Any tips on how to do professional looking corners? Tks, Z.
Zstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I cut mine at not quite 45 degrees. I started with the bottom horizontal strip, then the two vertical strips,finally the upper horizontal strip. By not cutting at the full 45 degrees, the lower ends two vertical strips slightly overlap the ends of the lower horizontal strip. The ends of the upper horizontal strip slightly overlap the upper ends of the vertical strips. This leaves a "shingle" situation.

When I put new glazing strips around the windows, I was replacing three of the five windows as one was broken, and two were plastic. One other window was removed easily as the adhesive was sun-baked, so that new adhesive could be used on all but one window.

None of my windows leak.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
I cut mine on 45's and then caulked with a silver caulk looked like a factory job.
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
MyFirstStreamer

1963 26' Overlander
Indiana , Indiana
Thanks guys. Jim, did you use a bit of sealant on the corners? I used just a touch of Vulkem....???? Z.
Zstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zstream
Thanks guys. Jim, did you use a bit of sealant on the corners? I used just a touch of Vulkem....???? Z.
No, I did not. It's been two years now, and no problems. The strips have not aged and pulled away from the corners like the old stuff did. The trailer is always outside.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I cut mine at a 45 angle then sealed the joint with a grey silicone caulk that matched perfectly ( think it was Red Devil brand). I like to mask both sides of the joint before I apply the caulk so that I get a very neat joint when I'm done.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote