Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Heater Vent -How to Seal Opening

I've been trying to figure out how to deal with floor rot, but also how to find what might have caused the problem. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...-do-55013.html I learned a trick in this forum to use a paper towel to find damp spots. Today, I found one under the heater vent beneath the kitchen cabinets. I would not have been able to feel this with my bare fingers. Nevertheless there it was. The pictures tell the story. The light in the dark space was obvious.

Now the question: How do I seal this? It must get hot around this opening. Will Vulkem withstand this kind of heat? Makes you wonder if this was built this way?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0703.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	87145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0702.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	87146  

TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Vulkem is good up to 175F. Put a meat thermometer in the vent and see if it gets that hot.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Fixed Furnace Vent

I made an "emergency" fix here before the rain came. The furnace outlet has two components: (1) the air intake box. It's rectangular and has a flange on the exterior. and (2) the exhaust tube. This part is the chromed cover you see on the outside. The air intake box was not gasketed or sealed in any fashion. I think it is supposed to be.

I went to the local autoparts store, purchased RTV grey sealer. It's good up to 625 degrees and used that to gasket the air intake tube and fill the visible holes. It looks good. I was concerned about heat. Maybe Vulkem would have worked okay.

Today after rain that area seems dry. Still raining now so I'll have to keep an eye on this side of the trailer.
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote