Old 03-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Have leaks in the new AS...

Went on our second trip in our 09 International to West Palm Beach. If any of you have been watching the weather channel, WP Beach was hit with a heck of a storm yesterday and today and we were there to enjoy it!! We had a leak in the bedroom floor and couldn't find the source until this am...the outside storage areas were veryyy wet on the inside and to our surprise, the storage area outside the bedroom was not sealed so you could see light, (probably great place for critters of many species to entertain themselves), in the bedroom from the storage bin! Are these areas suppose to be sealed or are they left that way for movement when towing? Anyway, the dealer wants to see it and of course fix it. We just found a leak in window in the dinette area...Should we carry caulking with us for cases like this? Are these leaks normal?
Besides the leaks, the KOA at Lion Country Safari was wonderful!!! Clean, friendly, lots to do and a great dog park! AND we could hear the lions roar in the mornings!
Thanks for any advice.
Andi

Old 03-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Ask as well you dealer to check the gasket on the vents... the factory tend to use an old stock of square gasket for a round vent and guess what it doesn't work!

I started a thread about that I'll try to find it and post the link

here it is :
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...eak-45915.html

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

http://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
2009 27' FB International
Winnipeg , Manitoba
We had a large leak in the front storage compartment of our 2009 27FB last summer. We took the trailer back to Jackson Center (1200 miles away), and they replaced the entire front skin and baggage door (due to stress cracks leading out from the baggage door). They leak tested the trailer, and we headed back home. We encountered a rainstorm about 100 miles from home, and when we got home, you guessed it, the front baggage compartment was full of water, and it had leaked all over the floor of the front bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baggage 1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	97990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Baggage 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	97991  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Baggage Interior.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	97992  
Old 03-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Airstream 65....what was the final outcome...sounds exactly what happened to us!
Thanks dufferin, its on my list for the dealer.
Andi
TAC FL-5
Old 03-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream 65 View Post
We had a large leak in the front storage compartment of our 2009 27FB last summer. We took the trailer back to Jackson Center (1200 miles away), and they replaced the entire front skin and baggage door (due to stress cracks leading out from the baggage door). They leak tested the trailer, and we headed back home. We encountered a rainstorm about 100 miles from home, and when we got home, you guessed it, the front baggage compartment was full of water, and it had leaked all over the floor of the front bedroom.
what happened ? did they fix that leak did they come get your trailer?

and return it to you. i would like to know more about this how well did they treat you when you came back for the same problem?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Took the AS to the dealer yesterday and all the sealant/weather stripping around the storage doors and the seals around the window were not sealing at all! So they are installing new ones and they are going to adjust the locks on the storage compartments. Hopefully this will fix the problem...please keep fingers crossed.
Just thought I'd let you know what happened.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
I can understand these kind of issues on my "78" Ambassador but sure is discouraging to hear that the new ones are coming out of the factory with these problems. Doesn't bode well for Airstream. Certainly makes one wonder if there is any Quality Control in Ohio. The common response is that "all Airstreams leak"...but when you pay as much as you do for a new Airstream, one would expect much better. Just my two cents! Let us know how things work out.

Bob
TAC PA-5
Old 05-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Gillette , Wyoming
This thread has been asleep for the last 2 months, but I'm resurrecting it.

My new 2009 23FB Flying Cloud went through its second night out after we removed all the plastic from the interior. We had a rainstorm that indicated leaks at both of the Fantastic Fans! Being a brand new AS, I was seriously disappointed!

Roadrunner, I agree with your statement..."when you pay as much as you do for a new Airstream, one would expect much better."

So, my question...should I take it back to the dealer and let them deal with it, or should I dive in and do it myself? I purchased on April 10th, so they will take it back for a warranty fix. Any thoughts?
Old 05-31-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I'd give the dealer a chance to fix it. We did and the dealer fixed everything and then some. No doubt that dealers monitor this site and don't want embarassing things said about them. We've had no more leaks since our last one in the front window.
Now we are enjoying our AS and are continuosly using it. Now our problem is the ZipDee awning...won't work correctly and have replaced some of the arms with stainless steel ones made by zipdee....seems like this was the plan of ZipDee all along....have you pay to replace with better ones....and alot more expensive! If they have good ones, just use those...duh.
But, back to your question, I'd let the dealer fix this first, but let AS know (call and write).
Old 05-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
They all leak, new and old!

well, that's the saying anyway... with 2000 rivet holes, giving 0.1% leakage, that at least 2 leaks... let alone the holes cut in for roof vents and hatches.

http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote