Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2018, 09:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Gasket? Weatherstripping or...'65 Safari window leaks!

hi!

I am the recent owner of a 1965 Safari I am completely in love with.
Two windows have rotted seals between the glass and metal window frames.
Are there specific materials I can buy to clean off the old (or just scrape?) and more importantly replace the old with so the rain stays out?
The gray rubbery sealant seems like it would come in strips and be self adhesive or heat sealed on there. Can anyone point me in the right direction to make the repairs?

Thank you!

Denise
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	314569   Click image for larger version

Name:	window1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	314570  

DeniseP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Denise, I would check Vintage Trailer Supply to match up your old gasket with what they show for the mid 60s windows. With gaskets we’ve installed, we always use 3M Black Super Weatherstrip And Gasket Adhesive from auto parts stores. Clean the gasket remnants off the glass with something like GoofOff and a razor scraper. Good luck, Bubba
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Once you remove most of the old gray seal use a Dremel tool with a Scotch-brite "bob" to clean the rest of the junk and get to surface clean so the new gaskets will stick. It is the best and fastest way I found to clean the old glue and other residue and not scratch the aluminum ( I had to do all 6 windows in my Trade Wind). They take a special mandrel that holds the Scotch brit pads, sold separately of course. Lowe's had HD has them.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote