Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Gasket removal stuff!! Works great!!

I found some stuff at my local Ace Hardware to remove old gasket. I'm taking it off of the door, the wire brush/dremel technique heats up the old gasket/glue and melts it down to a nice even layer, but doesn't take it off unless it's completely dry and crumbly.

Guy at Ace gave me a sample of this stuff called De-Solv-It, the bottle says it comes from www.orange-sol.com. I brushed it on liberally to what was left after my wire-brushing attempt and left it for a few minutes. Went back to check out the results and it literally melts it off, I can wipe it off with a rag.

Apparently safe on skin and even in eyes, too. You can use it to get gum out of hair, and medical facilities use it to remove asphalt and debris from burn victims? I wonder if it removes POR15?

If I had known this seven windows ago...!!
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
I found some stuff at my local Ace Hardware to remove old gasket. I'm taking it off of the door, the wire brush/dremel technique heats up the old gasket/glue and melts it down to a nice even layer, but doesn't take it off unless it's completely dry and crumbly.

Guy at Ace gave me a sample of this stuff called De-Solv-It, the bottle says it comes from www.orange-sol.com. I brushed it on liberally to what was left after my wire-brushing attempt and left it for a few minutes. Went back to check out the results and it literally melts it off, I can wipe it off with a rag.

Apparently safe on skin and even in eyes, too. You can use it to get gum out of hair, and medical facilities use it to remove asphalt and debris from burn victims? I wonder if it removes POR15?

If I had known this seven windows ago...!!
So how would you now recommend doing weatherstrip removal? Do you skip the dremel all together?
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
I would first peel off old gasket by hand, if possible. What doesn't come off easily by pulling, scrape off with a chisel. Then, brush on this stuff liberally, and let it soak in. Then, scrub it off vigouously with a wet rag. Might have to do a few treatments. I also was able to scrape off gummy stuff with a scraper in combination with the wiping of the rag.

Be careful not to get it on any gasket you want to keep, or any rubber because it will dissolve that according to the label.

If at any point using the dremel makes it easier, by all means go for it, but I didn't need it at all for the door.

Good luck let me know how you do!
Old 05-30-2006, 08:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
I would first peel off old gasket by hand, if possible. What doesn't come off easily by pulling, scrape off with a chisel. Then, brush on this stuff liberally, and let it soak in. Then, scrub it off vigouously with a wet rag. Might have to do a few treatments. I also was able to scrape off gummy stuff with a scraper in combination with the wiping of the rag.

Be careful not to get it on any gasket you want to keep, or any rubber because it will dissolve that according to the label.

If at any point using the dremel makes it easier, by all means go for it, but I didn't need it at all for the door.

Good luck let me know how you do!
I have all windows, the screen door, the main door, the storage doors, and the front window shade to do. Thoughts on using steel wool to scrub off the De-Solv-It, adhesive, rubber mix?
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

Old 05-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Yes, that would work. Once you have everything off that you can scrape or pull, then spray on the De-Solv-It, and let it soak in. Maybe even overnight. Then, scrape again, and then use the steel wool.

The stuff is safe to use on aluminum. I dremeled and wire-wheeled my window frames, did a lot of surface damage to the aluminum. But no one will see it. If you use a steel wool pad, you won't do all the scratching and stuff that I did on mine, and hopefully save some elbow grease for another job. It is kind of messy, but gasket's a messy job.

I hope this works out for you as well as it did for me; what's the condition of your old gasket? This stuff works on removing everything, but especially nicely on removing gasket that hasn't completely failed and is still rubbery. Wire wheeling/dremeling just melted the rubbery stuff and spread it around.

Also, be sure to clean the De-Solv-It off of your window frames before installing new gasket. Maybe with rubbing alcohol. There's some other stuff when I remember the name I'll post you.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
The window weatherstripping is very cracked and in fairly poor condition. Some of the windows don't latch correctly because the weatherstripping doesn't hold the window far enough out from the frame to allow the latches to fit in the appropriate holes.

The screen door is the most deteriorated. That isn't the same rubber seal. It is more of a foam. Did you try this stuff on the foam seal, or will I be the first?

Old 05-30-2006, 08:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
You'll be the first. Fear not. March in there and tell that gasket and foam who's boss! It's a pain of a job either way but good to get it done.

Keep me posted!