Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

front leak

I saw a thread a while ago, but didn't have time to check it out and can't find it now. It seemed to address the same wetness I have found. The front of our one trailer often has dampness on the wooden floor under the window. Any idea where this comes from? I want to clean it up and paint it, or replace flooring if needed.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Is your water holding tank in the front? sometimes the pump will leak.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
It could be from the window, the running lights, the TV or radio antenna. Any hole in the skin is a potential source. The water could be running down betwen the outer and inner skins and settling on the floor. Check the sealant around each penetration.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

I thought it might be something between the shell and interior wall. We also have a Hehr that doesn't always close securely. I will work on that, and also seal around antennae, and other things. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Our Front Leaks

I posted recently about water leakage, both past and present, that we found when we checked under the vinyl flooring at the front of our 2005 22' CCD. We used Acryl-R (https://store.airstream.com/product_...roducts_id=138) to seal seams around the entire trailer that appeared suspect. I'll attach photos of 2 areas that required attention around our front window. Don't know for sure if these or others were the culprit, but at least the leak is gone for now.

Good luck in your search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5a_CurbWindowCorner.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	66087   Click image for larger version

Name:	6a_FrontGuardCaulk.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	66088  

Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:30 AM   #6

1972 31' Sovereign
Small Town , Alabama
I am so glad that you posted this. I just discovered that I also have a leak at the base of the floor at the front window. I thought that it must be coming from the window but didn't see any evidence of dripping water anywhere inside of it. Now I can try out that Acrly-R stuff and see if that fixes it!
clean72air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Maryville , Tennessee
I have the same leak, i think. I have just resealed EVERYTHING outside the trailer and was very disappointed to find 2 wet spots on my wood floor (carpet removed) on EITHER side of the front window. In the middle it is dry, but i thought i sealed everything. Has anyone ever heard of water seeping in at the floor level underneath the trim on the front of the trailer between the outer skin under the front window and the banana wrap around the bottom?

thanks, eric
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
That can happen. I've removed the trim you mentioned and resealed it. Once the trim is replaced, I ran a bead of sealant top and bottom. Another item to look at is the screws that atach the inside fly screen to the window frame. On my 1972 Tradewind, these screws penetrate the window frame. If water gets past the weatherstripping and into the frame, it will find its way through the holes made by those screws. I put a dab of sealant on the penetrations and solved any water ingress from that location.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Although it may be possible, we were repeatedly assured at Jackson Center that water does not flow upwards. Sometimes the leak source is far from the puddle on the floor, so make sure that you check any roof top seams, the antenna and marker lights.

If you have a pressurized leak testing service available in your area, it might be a good investment. After sealing ours to the best of our ability, we took it to GSM in Plattsburgh, NY, and they found quite a few additional leaks in other parts of the trailer that we had missed.

Good luck!
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Jackson Centre must not be familiar with Capillary action. Water will follow the path of least resistance, regardless of the direction.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
With my argosy the front skins came down under the bellyskins so that water could run into the belly. Not too bad except the front skins ended above the floor plywood allowing the water to run over the edge of the floor. When all was new there was caulking in place to stop the water but with age the caulking had disentergrated and the floor was getting wet under the edges of the window.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:39 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Maryville , Tennessee
Thanks everyone, i'm gonna go over these areas this weekend. I really doubt mine is coming from the roof, i just sealed all that up and have visually inspected the sealant twice and can't see any gaps. I'll try the trim seal at the base of the floor level and the window screws. Pressure testing wouldn't do me any good at this point because i need new window seals badly all around. That is next. BUT i don't think this is caused by the front window seal, because theres no water under the middle of the window, just the corners. I guess it's possible though.

eric
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:50 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Leak finding..

One thing I think helps when looking for a leak, is does it leak when towing or sitting. If you watch the front of your trailer when towing it is flat pummeled in water when it is raining. Water from the rockshields goes inward partially and there is a "waterspout" up behind the gas bottles. SO, water can go UP and be forced into pretty much anything with a crack or gap.

I for one have verified some water comes in through the condensate drip holes in the HEHR window that faces forward. I used taped on paper that showed the "spray" of water from these holes, and then it hits my pillow as mine has the bed right there.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
TINSLTOOTSIE

Please post the year of your trailer.

You may want to look at this post, #19
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ion-35237.html

If the leak has anything to do with the window the insulation just above the floor will be wet for a long time after the rain as it will hold water much longer than the floor will. To check this pull the inner skin back just about the spot on the floor and feel the insulation for dampness. If possible leave this area open until the next rain and then check. If the leak is around the window or above the insulation will show dampness long before the water reaches the floor and under a much lighter rain.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for all the ideas. My trailer is an overlander 1974 with "skylight" kind of windows. Those do leak, and I'm working on them. Right now, it's winter, and there is very little running water. The leak usually appears in storage, when sitting. I'll keep checking and use many ideas once it thaws and we're getting ready to use it.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I had a '76 Overlander that had missing rivets behind the beltline & rubrail stripes. It took me forever to find those (sealed all windows, vents, etc first). I had a wet floor after rain, but nothing coming from above it. After I discovered the missing rivets & repaired those, I went all the way around & sealed every rivet under both the beltline & rubrail stripes. No more leaks after that. Good luck!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

beltline info

Thanks, Becky, I will definitely check that come spring.