Old 08-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #29
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Further to earlier post I went out to the storage area and checked the roof of our 05 Classic this week to try to find the source of a leak (or leaks?) that were causing damp spots on the carpet and base of the front lounge sofa on both sides.

I checked all the windows, awning brackets, rub rail seams, skin seams, rivets, support brackets for rock shields etc and didn't find any glaring problems although I did find a couple of what I felt were minor imperfections - I recaulked everything with Acryl-R.

Then, up on the roof, I again checked for seam issues, loose rivets etc and found nothing.

I had replaced the skylights a few years ago with Maxim units and don't believe the front skylight likely to be the cause of the problem. (seemed too far back from the damp areas anyway.

But when I removed the very thick caulking from the Fantastic fan I did find cracks at all four corners of the fan base and one or two other cracks from other mounting screw holes as well.

Also I found that although the thick caulking looked ok superficially, there was water underneath it when I got it up.

So this possibly was the cause of my problem - we shall see! I cleaned everything up as much as I could, then recaulked the fan base.

But then also, when looking at the two front roof mounted clearance lights, I notice that both had substantial condensation in them.

When I removed the lenses, I found that the sockets were completely rotted - I am amazed that the lights were still working, I doubt that they are now after I disturbed them!

I am wondering if this could be the source of the problem? I temporarily sealed the lenses with Acryl R and have ordered new fixtures.

I suppose it is possible water could have entered between the inner and outer skins via the light assemblies, run down in the wall to the C channel and then along to the areas each side of our sofa where I gather there is a break in the C channel.

The leak was not a huge one but enough to make the carpet / sofa base wet to the touch.

As best I could I checked the floor underneath and all seemed solid so hopefully I have found this before major damage has been caused

I'll check the trailer again soon to see if it has dried out, then again after the next heavy rainstorm!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:28 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
We had these exact problems with our fantastic fans. I purchased and installed them during our restoration in 2010, I had heard of the crack issues and installed them with stainless screws and large washers to spread out the seal pressure but they still cracked and leaked. after two years of frustration and the removing and resealing process I called fantastic and talked to their service rep. I explained the history and that I had learned of many others having the same issues. They were very good to deal with and sent me out new housings less the motors at no cost even though our fans were past warranty by a couple years. The new frames are quite a bit different and made with thicker flanges. No problems now for the last year.

It's not worth doing if you're not having fun.
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:41 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
My wife thought I should add the not so fun part of the story. The worst leak we had was the vent over our bed of course! I poured buckets of water on the vents when we were at home while I had the equipment to repair and always thought I had the problem fixed:-) It would always leak when we were on a trip and always in the middle of the night. It would leak so much it was like the vent wasn't even there, but not a drop at home!!!
It's not worth doing if you're not having fun.
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:03 AM   #32
Avion Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I'd like to add a picture here of the Eternabond Alumibond tape I used around a Fantastic Fan on our Avion. (Enlarge the picture and you'll get a good view of the tape around the fan.) Although I placed the tape only up to the vertical part of the fan's frame, you could easily lay that strip or another strip of tape to cover the vertical part of the frame. I have really liked the Eternabond tape and will recommend it to anyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4434.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	626.3 KB
ID:	233826  
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
"They ALL leak" common statement. I have/had the same problem with a roof leak. I took my A$ to a independent shop to help with the problem. In examination, he said that one edge of the Fantastic is next to a rib, buth the other side is the shroud and thin Al, NO support. He suggested putting some kind of support between the roof and inner shell. He used a 1/8 by two strip 16 in long strip of Aluminum and than screwed the Fantastic, roof and strip together; and caulked. So far, No damp dreams.

Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote