Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
Dumb sewer vent pipe cover gasket Questions

Lucky me with a darn good 2004 25' Classic. Bought last summer and lovin rallies, camping, learning & playing.

I've made changes in my life to accommodate this new member of the family. Though apprehensive about it at first, I now change the oil on my F-250 TV and have been learning how to perform the maintenance on the AS when I can. I even had the driveway enlarged and resurfaced. That was lucky, because I had to store her outside last winter. So far, so good. I can keep an eye on Beauty and have her close to home.

But storing outside in the snowy northeast has its drawbacks. When I got up on the roof this weekend to wash and inspect I examined the sewer vent pipe gasket since the PO (original owner) told me it had never been replaced.

See pic. Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom Vent 5.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	167409Looks like I need to replace the thing. Exposed screws, cracks in sealant, etc. I've seen posts on how to do it. I've got the tools and a safe way to work on the roof.

Here's where the dumb questions arise : I'm not sure what is the correct vent or where to get it. I can copy the number off the vent. Then what? I looked over Inland RV and couldn't find it. On google and amazon I see Ventline 2049-01. It looks right. Fits a 1 1/2 vent pipe. Yes? Is that it? Is that all?

When people talk about a gasket, do they mean the stuff I'm going to put on the roof between the round vent pipe cover and the roof? I've got some Sikaflex 721 that I plan to use to seal the holes. Or is there something else I should use? And is there an actual gasket? Besides that, I mean...

Oh here's another one. I've read some people refer to some screen or netting that's supposed to keep insects and critters out. Does that come with it?? Or is that not used on this? Or shall I add that on my own?

I lurk on the forums a lot and find this to be an invaluable resource. It's given me several sides to every discussion and I appreciate the experience and thoughtfulness that goes into many of these posts. I plan to replace my skylight with a maxim and think this little sewer vent pip cover job and renewing the sealing around the fantastic fans will be good preparation for me.

So please excuse my literal interpretations and overall newbiness.

Hoping we all get some good fall camping before the snow flies,
Old 09-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Why not improve on it and get rid of that ugly plastic? I swapped this out for the very same vent you have this summer. Looks so much more like an AS should.

Metal Roof Pipe Cover

I used Dicor self leveling sealer to seal it, but there are many options for that issue.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
Hi dznf0g,

Sorry for the delay in responding. The metal vent is perfect! I'm going to pick one up and install it this spring. I redid the plastic one right after the post--it looks awful and I'm glad I finally found this post. Thanks for the link and advice.

Kathy
Old 11-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Scooter241,

Yep, the one pictured is the OEM unit....seems they have a problem with the install.

How ours was installed at the Factory.

Re-done...

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:09 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The original cover has the advantage of being inexpensive. They cost less than 3 dollars and you can get them at almost any RV supply place, except the one you checked.
So, if that metal cover doesn't work, you can go OEM pretty cheaply.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Scooter241

Found a few more pic's of the repair.....

What I used...I cut a new pipe gasket from an old inner tube.

After the roof was cleaned...notice that there are holes in the vent cover that AS saw fit not to use. Replaced all screws with stainless.

Bob
Old 11-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Scooter241

Found a few more pic's of the repair.....

What I used...I cut a new pipe gasket from an old inner tube.

After the roof was cleaned...notice that there are holes in the vent cover that AS saw fit not to use. Replaced all screws with stainless.

Bob
Old 11-21-2012, 12:24 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
GReat pictures! My cleanup wasn't as thorough as yours. Beautiful job. Helpful to see the old one. Appreciate the links and the tip about using an old inner tube for a gasket.

I see that you used a lot of screws. did you cover them or leave them bare? It seems I got way too generous with the dicor.

Good to have something to aspire to. Nice job! Thanks for sharing the details!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving,
Kathy
Old 11-21-2012, 04:23 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

"I see that you used a lot of screws. did you cover them or leave them bare? It seems I got way too generous with the dicor."

Kathy,

Your very welcome.

No I did not cover the screws, just a good bead of polyurethane on both sides of the gasket,(flange), and the screw threads, also underneath the gasket around the vent pipe.

POI....Sampson State Park. Many times. Love the "wine trails" and white deer.

Bob