Old 08-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Sandpoint , Idaho
Door Seal?

Hi there!

I have so much to do that it is hard to decide what to start on. But the first thing that bugs me about my new project is the door on my 76 Sovereign. What is the door seal supposed to look like? Cerrtainly not like this:

or this:

So naturally, I'd like to remove that "seal" and replace it with the proper type. So...

Where can I get a replacement?
What would you suggest I use to remove all that adhesive (no idea what type) so I can get back to what it is supposed to look like?

The door latch and deadbolt will the the subject of a different thread... they bug me too.

Thanks,
Pete

Old 08-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoyt View Post
Hi there!

I have so much to do that it is hard to decide what to start on. But the first thing that bugs me about my new project is the door on my 76 Sovereign. What is the door seal supposed to look like? Cerrtainly not like this:

or this:

So naturally, I'd like to remove that "seal" and replace it with the proper type. So...

Where can I get a replacement?
What would you suggest I use to remove all that adhesive (no idea what type) so I can get back to what it is supposed to look like?

The door latch and deadbolt will the the subject of a different thread... they bug me too.

Thanks,
Pete
Pete.

The old adhesive can be easily removed by using a small wire wheel in a electric or air drill, and jsu simply burnish the old stuff off. The eliminates the need to use a toxic solvent.

The correct entrance door gasket is "triangular shaped".

It's held in place with "super weatherstrip adhesive", which is black.

The yellow stuff is not good enough for that door gasket.

Andy

Old 08-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Sandpoint , Idaho
Thanks Andy, now you know what I'll be doing tomorrow morning!

Is that seal something I can order online or get at a good AS dealer? We have one in Spokane, about 90 miles from here... I get the feeling I may be opening their door a lot over the next few months.

Thanks,
Pete
Old 08-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Replacing seals (doors, windows, access compartments) is one of the best places to start! Followed closely by sealing the window & panel seams. Get 'er waterproofed first - then move on to the safety issues like tail lights and running gear.

The cosmetic stuff is more fun - but take care of the structural, mechanical & electrical stuff first and you'll be happier in the end! And, ahead of the game.

Have fun!

Laura
Old 08-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Sandpoint , Idaho
I agree completely about getting down to the basics in this renovation effort. No point in painting something only to have to patch it later.

Fortunately, I have the coach safely hidden from the weather in my barn. So I can deal with the structure without concern for any new water penetration. I haven't see any evidence of any, but then again, I haven't even taken up the carpet yet.

I may have more to say on that subject in the next few days. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!

Pete