Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
Richard

1967 22' Safari
Monte Vista , Colorado
Door and window gasket

I have a 67 Safari and need to replace the door gasket and window gaskets on most of the windows.

I know this has been asked thousands of times, but I had a hard enough time just finding how to ask a question...

Inland RV shows a D gasket. Will this work for doors and windows? It would appear that it would be too thick for the windows, compared to what I have on there now and what is on the door.

Any help would be appreciated...
Pennierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Just call Andy at Inland RV

I agonised over this same question for our Argosy.
There was a ton of great advice on this forum but frankly, it just helped to add to my confusion.
I tried to source what (I thought) I needed in Canada but without success. Then I thought I could use several suppliers for different items but realised that shipping would make that too expensive (for me) So, in the end I just emailed and also spoke to Andy at InlandRV. He explained and suggested what I needed and should have. Once I spoke to him I looked no further, nor will I in the future, Andy is a phenomenal resource. I placed my order with him at the end of last week.
I (respectfully) suggest you do the same
I am not affiliated with InlandRV in any way. My business is built on customer service and I support folks that have the same philosophy.

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennierich View Post
I have a 67 Safari and need to replace the door gasket and window gaskets on most of the windows.

I know this has been asked thousands of times, but I had a hard enough time just finding how to ask a question...

Inland RV shows a D gasket. Will this work for doors and windows? It would appear that it would be too thick for the windows, compared to what I have on there now and what is on the door.

Any help would be appreciated...
The "D" gasket far out performs the old double flared gasket.

It also has an obvious, much longer life as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:09 AM   #4
Richard

1967 22' Safari
Monte Vista , Colorado
I have read that the "D" gasket is superior, but is it used for both? The flat window seal in place now is much narrower and flatter than the door seal.

Sorry to be so slow, but.....
Old 07-20-2010, 03:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I have read that the "D" gasket is superior, but is it used for both? The flat window seal in place now is much narrower and flatter than the door seal.

Sorry to be so slow, but.....
In 67, the double flared gasket was used for the windows and entrance door, as equipped by Airstream.

Sounds like you may have a foreign gasket on the door.

In the case of your 67, yes, the D gaskets is used for the windows and entrance door.

Andy
Old 07-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Happy camper

I got the "D" gasket material from Andy. I ordered the material July 6th and I finished the last window yesterday. The measurements were awesome! I have 22' left for the door after doing all the windows. I'm very happy with service, materials, and instructions. There's a noticeable difference in closing my windows. Now when I twist for lever close, there's some meat on the bone. Before replacing the gaskets there was no compression of the gasket at closing whatsoever. Now there is, but not so much I can't close the windows. I'm leaving the windows closed under tension a few days to season the glue and set the gasket.

Now I have one vista window that the PO broke the inside glass and stopped there. That window is a leaker. I need a firm gasket inside the window channel to place some tension on the remaining outside glass.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
I used the d gasket from inland too. I have since learned that surface prep is key. And take your time when you are putting them on.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Use an adhesive in addition to the sticky tape which comes on the gasket. 3M makes the adhesive and it will be available from the same source you get your gasket from.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont

Oasis RV in Tucson, Arizona (where I got mine) and Out-of-Doors Mart in Colfax, NC are two other good sources.

Be sure to use the 3M glue Aviator recommended. All the professional shops do.

See post #325 here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...-18448-24.html

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
The "d" gasket stuff from Andy and a tube of the 3m weather stripping glue is the ticket!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:38 AM   #11
Richard

1967 22' Safari
Monte Vista , Colorado
Thanks to all

I am getting ready to replace the big side window, plexiglass in there now and it is all sealed with silicone. Didn't want to start until I had the right gasket. At present it is a flat rubber about 1/4 inch thick, so I was a little nervous, especially with rain every afternoon.

I will measure and order the "D" gasket and adhesive.

Thanks to all for the help and patience with me.

R
Old 07-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I am getting ready to replace the big side window, plexiglass in there now and it is all sealed with silicone. Didn't want to start until I had the right gasket. At present it is a flat rubber about 1/4 inch thick, so I was a little nervous, especially with rain every afternoon.

I will measure and order the "D" gasket and adhesive.

Thanks to all for the help and patience with me.

R
No need to measure.

Small windows use 5 feet.
Medium windows use 6 feet.
Large windows use 7 feet.
Entrance door uses 16 feet.

Adhesive. Use 1 tube per 25 feet of gasket.

Andy
Old 10-08-2010, 06:07 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Andy, replaced the window gasket with "d" gasket. The new gasket is now visible when I close the window (about 1/16") whereas the old gaskets did not show around the edge of the sash. Is this correct? Or did I install it incorrectly? Want to know before I change the gaskets on the other seven windows. Prep time was a bear. The old dryrotted gaskets were definately a challenge. Also took time to polished off years of corrosion. Thanks. Jack
Skamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Speaking or prep for a new gasket, what is the best way? Remove old gasket, glue, clean door edge, seems logical. What do most people use to achive a clean smooth surface? MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Not an expert, but here is what I am doing. Remove as much of the old gasket as possible. I used a sharp knife and ran it around under the old gasket. Mine was dry rotted and came off in pieces. Used a scraper to remove as much as possible and then attacked the yellow glue and old gasket with adhesive remover. It took 2 or 3 times to get most of the old glue off. I then cleaned the sash with mineral spirits. Since I had the time, I went ahead and cleaned/polished the entire sash. Before applying the new glue I wiped entire edge with mineral spirits to get a clean surface. Have heard others use a wire wheel brush to clean off old gasket and glue. I ended up making a mess doing it that way and was afraid I would break the window. Hope this helps. Jack
Skamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I put a new blade in a utility knife and the old gaskets mostly came off in one piece. Then I cleaned off the window with a wire brush and washed the gasket area with acetone. While I had the windows laying on the bench, I added solar film to them all.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
The Grass Capital of the World , Oregon
door gasket

My PO chose to go with regular foam weather-stripping instead of a door gasket, which performed poorly but at least came off easily. It left all the adhesive on the Airstream though, so... GOO GONE. I love this stuff. So simple and easy. Smells good too. Saved by the Power of Citrus!

I used a metal paint-scraper razor blade to physically remove the adhesive after the Goo Gone destroyed it's stickiness, but that's because I'm an idiot. I left some unnecessary scratch marks. If I did it again I'd use a plastic putty knife or credit card. You don't need much after the Goo Gone does the heavy lifting.
SpaceEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
"D" gasket

The "D" window gasket should be installed so the the outer edge is about 1/8 inch inward from the outside edge of the window frame.

The simplest way to remove the rest of the old gasket is to use a 2 or 3 inch wire wheel in an electric drill, and burnish off the remainders.

That should clean everything off of the metal sash.

Andy
Old 10-09-2010, 05:36 AM   #19
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparjohn View Post
Speaking or prep for a new gasket, what is the best way? Remove old gasket, glue, clean door edge, seems logical. What do most people use to achive a clean smooth surface? MPJ

I tried the gentle approach at first, as has been suggested elsewhere, scraped off the old gasket with a scraper as best I could, then a razor and dremel. Too slow.
I ended up using a razor to cut the gasket off, held the razor firmly at a 45 degree angle to the gasket, but horizontal to the glued edge, slid/cut the razor under the edge and then pulled it towards me, cutting off the gasket from the frame. Then I took a 41/2 inch grinder with a wire brush attachment and cleaned the residue. Went from about an hour for the first window frame to 10 minutes for the worst frame. When I had prepped one, I applied glue, prepped a second, applied gasket to the first and so on until I was finished. I got so "into" it, I forgot to take photos
By the way, the small razor blades can be bought in a pack of 100 for real cheap from a janitorial or paint supply (I pay $14.00) rather than a pack of 5 from Co-Op for $5.50. Just FYI
I also wore gloves and eye protection.

Good luck!

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamper1 View Post
Andy, replaced the window gasket with "d" gasket. The new gasket is now visible when I close the window (about 1/16") whereas the old gaskets did not show around the edge of the sash. Is this correct? Or did I install it incorrectly? Want to know before I change the gaskets on the other seven windows. Prep time was a bear. The old dryrotted gaskets were definitely a challenge. Also took time to polished off years of corrosion. Thanks. Jack
Glad someone else noticed this as I've mentioned it several times. This is why, in my opinion, the D gasket is great for the compartment doors but I don't care for the look on the windows. It "pillows" out around the edge for lack of a better description. We did install one section of D gasket on the rear window - it's an experiment on the longevity compared to the standard gasket.

Did you install it correctly - I believe you did. When I installed the rear window I called Airstream to talk to them about this. They walked me through adjusting the window closure but said it will "puff" out around the edge as you describe. It is much easier to install - if you can live with the look.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1967 safari