Old 10-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Not an expert, but here is what I am doing. Remove as much of the old gasket as possible. I used a sharp knife and ran it around under the old gasket. Mine was dry rotted and came off in pieces. Used a scraper to remove as much as possible and then attacked the yellow glue and old gasket with adhesive remover. It took 2 or 3 times to get most of the old glue off. I then cleaned the sash with mineral spirits. Since I had the time, I went ahead and cleaned/polished the entire sash. Before applying the new glue I wiped entire edge with mineral spirits to get a clean surface. Have heard others use a wire wheel brush to clean off old gasket and glue. I ended up making a mess doing it that way and was afraid I would break the window. Hope this helps. Jack

Skamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I put a new blade in a utility knife and the old gaskets mostly came off in one piece. Then I cleaned off the window with a wire brush and washed the gasket area with acetone. While I had the windows laying on the bench, I added solar film to them all.

Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1959 24' Tradewind
The Grass Capital of the World , Oregon
door gasket

My PO chose to go with regular foam weather-stripping instead of a door gasket, which performed poorly but at least came off easily. It left all the adhesive on the Airstream though, so... GOO GONE. I love this stuff. So simple and easy. Smells good too. Saved by the Power of Citrus!

I used a metal paint-scraper razor blade to physically remove the adhesive after the Goo Gone destroyed it's stickiness, but that's because I'm an idiot. I left some unnecessary scratch marks. If I did it again I'd use a plastic putty knife or credit card. You don't need much after the Goo Gone does the heavy lifting.
SpaceEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
"D" gasket

The "D" window gasket should be installed so the the outer edge is about 1/8 inch inward from the outside edge of the window frame.

The simplest way to remove the rest of the old gasket is to use a 2 or 3 inch wire wheel in an electric drill, and burnish off the remainders.

That should clean everything off of the metal sash.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:36 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Originally Posted by moparjohn View Post
Speaking or prep for a new gasket, what is the best way? Remove old gasket, glue, clean door edge, seems logical. What do most people use to achive a clean smooth surface? MPJ

I tried the gentle approach at first, as has been suggested elsewhere, scraped off the old gasket with a scraper as best I could, then a razor and dremel. Too slow.
I ended up using a razor to cut the gasket off, held the razor firmly at a 45 degree angle to the gasket, but horizontal to the glued edge, slid/cut the razor under the edge and then pulled it towards me, cutting off the gasket from the frame. Then I took a 41/2 inch grinder with a wire brush attachment and cleaned the residue. Went from about an hour for the first window frame to 10 minutes for the worst frame. When I had prepped one, I applied glue, prepped a second, applied gasket to the first and so on until I was finished. I got so "into" it, I forgot to take photos
By the way, the small razor blades can be bought in a pack of 100 for real cheap from a janitorial or paint supply (I pay $14.00) rather than a pack of 5 from Co-Op for $5.50. Just FYI
I also wore gloves and eye protection.

Good luck!

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Originally Posted by Skamper1 View Post
Andy, replaced the window gasket with "d" gasket. The new gasket is now visible when I close the window (about 1/16") whereas the old gaskets did not show around the edge of the sash. Is this correct? Or did I install it incorrectly? Want to know before I change the gaskets on the other seven windows. Prep time was a bear. The old dryrotted gaskets were definitely a challenge. Also took time to polished off years of corrosion. Thanks. Jack
Glad someone else noticed this as I've mentioned it several times. This is why, in my opinion, the D gasket is great for the compartment doors but I don't care for the look on the windows. It "pillows" out around the edge for lack of a better description. We did install one section of D gasket on the rear window - it's an experiment on the longevity compared to the standard gasket.

Did you install it correctly - I believe you did. When I installed the rear window I called Airstream to talk to them about this. They walked me through adjusting the window closure but said it will "puff" out around the edge as you describe. It is much easier to install - if you can live with the look.

Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote

1967 safari