Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
DIY "Pressure Leak Detection" - Real world experience

So, as an Airstream newbie, I've dutifully read about a g'zillion threads about what can - and what will - go wrong as well as the regular, routine maintenance and various "tests" that a responsible owner should do.

I'm especially liking the whole idea of "pressure leak testing" with the blower and soap bubbles... seems like sheer genius.

I also like the idea that this is "doable" on a DIY basis, and, once the equipment is built, and the process understood, can be done by an owner as a regular part of preventive maintenance (not to mention quickly finding a rouge leaky-place!).

Now, I see that our 23D has a hole (or holes, can't really tell) through the floor where the black tank and plumbing are. This whole area looks to be too inaccessible to practically "close off" prior to doing a DIY pressure test. Maybe I'm wrong... dunno.

My question, for those who have actually done this (and there appears to be many), will a blower give enough "pressure" for testing with the hole(s)-in-the-floor unsealed. Perhaps the answer lies in the CFM capability of the blower... if that's the case, I'd probably go visit my local heating/air-conditioning contractor and pick up one of their dozens of used blowers.

Thanks,

Rob

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We use a moisture detection meter probing the plywood floor to detect leaks, because that's where they end up, and where the damage is done.

The pressure method is a great idea and used by Airstream Factory Service if a customer requests it. They and many RV dealers use a Seal-Tech machine design for this purpose. I would find out what pressure the machine produces and try not to exceed that pressure. I'm thinking excessive pressure could compromise otherwise perfectly good sealant already in place, creating more leaks.

Other than that concern, I wouldn't mind having one to use. The dealers could also do it on a periodic basis but the hourly rate could make it expensive.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We use a moisture detection meter probing the plywood floor to detect leaks, because that's where they end up, and where the damage is done.
Thanks Doug & Cheryl! Yep, I have a moisture detection meter and have probably "overused" it since I'm so new to this. Even so, I'm really interested in having the capability for early detection of leaks even before they end up on the floor! Yikes!

Quote:
The pressure method is a great idea and used by Airstream Factory Service if a customer requests it. They and many RV dealers use a Seal-Tech machine design for this purpose. I would find out what pressure the machine produces and try not to exceed that pressure. I'm thinking excessive pressure could compromise otherwise perfectly good sealant already in place, creating more leaks.
I wonder if a simple "blower-type" gizmo could possibly cause failure of just-about-to-fail sealing. Perhaps, if a seal is that close to checking out, it would be good to know before it happens.

Quote:
Other than that concern, I wouldn't mind having one to use. The dealers could also do it on a periodic basis but the hourly rate could make it expensive.
Yes, it would be nice to have one to use anytime!

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote