Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1939 to .... View Post
Took this photo this morning. Been below freezing at nights for 2-3 weeks here and this stuff oozes out during cold weather - looks like gorilla snot!
Same thing happened last winter. It leaks out in various spots below the belt line and out of the chrome trim. Although it is sticky, it can be washed off with rv cleaner.

I suppose if it keeps leaking out it will need replacing at some time - anyone know what it is?

Thanks, John
So it is sticky? Like an adhesive? Airstream used an adhesive on the chrome trim that is now oozing out when the weather is cold? Cold contraction must be allowing it to slip out. If this is the case, others will need to comment on how to address it.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Heck, nowadays.... even harbor freight carries aluminum rivets. Steel bad.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #23
Community Organizer

2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1939 to .... View Post
It leaks out in various spots below the belt line and out of the chrome trim. Although it is sticky, it can be washed off with rv cleaner.

I suppose if it keeps leaking out it will need replacing at some time - anyone know what it is?
...Money?...

"We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts8501 View Post
So it is sticky? Like an adhesive? Airstream used an adhesive on the chrome trim that is now oozing out when the weather is cold? Cold contraction must be allowing it to slip out. If this is the case, others will need to comment on how to address it.

Thanks folks.

The chrome trim on door hinges fixed with grey butyl type stuff (had them off to tighten bolts), but have never taken trim off belt line. Marks definitely not rust - sticky goo.

We're full timers therefore inside 70 degress F - outside freezing. So a temperature thing could be causing the "gorilla snot" to leak out, as suggested.

John
WK57ABF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
When I pressure test an airstream many people want to use the Trempro Vulkem. It works great, but can be a bit messy and it's pretty tough to lay a really thin bead unless using a syringe. When I tested my trailer in the nice 60 degrees we had last weekend, I used parbond in thicker gaps needing sealing, but used acryl-r on the seams and thin areas.

My trailer was tested back in February and there were many leaks found and sealed at that time. Over the 2008 travel season we towed several thousand miles. The shaking and vibrating of moving down the roads likely opened up a few more leaks.

I think checking and resealing yearly is not necessary, but gives the owner piece of mind, especially if the unit is stored outdoors and uncovered.

Steve