Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Lilburn , Georgia
Could new rock guard install cause leak?

Hi folks,
What a great site!!! I'm not new to camping but have just purchased my first AS. It's a 1971 23' Safari and we're really excited about fixing it up. I look forward to getting to know some of you through this forum.

It's in good shape and doesn't have any visible floor rot issues, but when I brought it home from a local camper service center I noticed a small wet spot on the back cushion of the goucho. It had rained the night before and was raining when I brought it home so it did worry me a little. The service center performed a full systems check and also replaced the damaged fiberglass rock guard with a new one.

Well, it rained HARD today and sure enough, when I got home from work I had water leaking on the back goucho cushion again and puddling on the floor.

The frame of the front window had water inside it about a 1/4" deep puddled in the front right corner and it certainly appears to be the spot where it's seeping in.

Since the area where the water had puddled shows no signs of previous damage and the wood is solid, I'm convinced this is a new leak.

Should I try to caulk along the top edge of the window in between the rock guard and the window? Should I replace the weather stripping on the window to form a tighter seal? Do you think I'm heading in the right direction?
Thanks for reading,
Todd
bassfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfiddler View Post
Hi folks,
What a great site!!! I'm not new to camping but have just purchased my first AS. It's a 1971 23' Safari and we're really excited about fixing it up. I look forward to getting to know some of you through this forum.

It's in good shape and doesn't have any visible floor rot issues, but when I brought it home from a local camper service center I noticed a small wet spot on the back cushion of the goucho. It had rained the night before and was raining when I brought it home so it did worry me a little. The service center performed a full systems check and also replaced the damaged fiberglass rock guard with a new one.

Well, it rained HARD today and sure enough, when I got home from work I had water leaking on the back goucho cushion again and puddling on the floor.

The frame of the front window had water inside it about a 1/4" deep puddled in the front right corner and it certainly appears to be the spot where it's seeping in.

Since the area where the water had puddled shows no signs of previous damage and the wood is solid, I'm convinced this is a new leak.

Should I try to caulk along the top edge of the window in between the rock guard and the window? Should I replace the weather stripping on the window to form a tighter seal? Do you think I'm heading in the right direction?
Thanks for reading,
Todd
Were all the fasteners sealed?

How are all the window and door gaskets, and especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets?

The window gaskets are good for maybe 15 years, depending on the climate. The sewer vent pipe cover gaskets are good for maybe 2 years.

What's the condition of your clearance lights and their seals?

What's the condition of your axles?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
Welcome aboard. I think you're heading in the right direction. I had to replace all the window and door gaskets. Inland RV has a new type gasket that works very well and is easy to replace. Don't go with the original equipment replacement for the gaskets. I also had to remove and replace the vulkem round my front windows -- had the same type leak you described, and new gasket and re-calking solved the problem. If that doesn't get it, you should check the clearance lights.