Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Question confusion/ignorance

so the dealer is gonna do the trailer resealing. i did get the seal/caulking kit from airstream with the adseal products in it,sikaflex and acryl r. is the adseal stuff silicone? and what is the acryl r and sikaflex. i believe that our 2010 has silicone sealant on the roof already as i tred a piece of eternabond around a vent and it would not stick to the already caulked area. from what i read in fourm i thought silicone was not best.
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Identify with the confusion and ignorance... are you resealing due to leaks that have occurred or looking at a preventative application? The former seems to be somewhat obvious (if still confusing to do) but wondering if routine resealing is something that should be on the maintenance list (one more addition to the ignorance list).
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

recaulking as original caulk/sealant dried out,cracking, seperating. want to prevent leaks from developing. sun heat and dry has cooked the factory stuff everywhere.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
With any product you have to remove the oil caulk. Silicones are frowned upon because of their tendency to peal off and they prevent new caulk from sticking due to a Silicone oil residue. They also have acid in then that tends to increase corrosion. Most of the recommended sealants are polyurethanes. I know that Sikaflex is a polyurethane. I don't know about the Acry-R stuff. I do know that neither one of them is a silicone. Best way I have found to get old layers of caulk off is to use the gel type paint remover. Don't use this on plastics.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

that is what i don't know. in the airstream sealant kit the gray and white adseal products do not tell me what kind of sealant they are. i think the room of my 2010already has silicone on it cause a piece of eternabond would not stick to the old caulking. silicone is the only thing it won't stick to. i do not know it the factory was using silicone sealant but it seems so to me.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The way to insure it leaks is to caulk over old caulk whatever it is. Most caulks don't stick well to old flaking off caulk even it is is not silicone.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

absolutely. but if silicone was used and cleaned out surface cleaned off is it just a gamble that anything will ever stick to the surface or can you be sure using a specific technique and/or product. it is about the residoodoo.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtgrls View Post
absolutely. but if silicone was used and cleaned out surface cleaned off is it just a gamble that anything will ever stick to the surface or can you be sure using a specific technique and/or product. it is about the residoodoo.
A good cleaner that doesn't leave a residue, or be sure to clean any residue off before applying new sealer. I like either mineral spirits or cosmoline remover, followed by denatured alcohol.