Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 12:44 PM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Robert Cross, your solution with photographs and the Eternabond tape have both intrigued us for a bit now. They look very neat and in your description have sealed for many years now.

Is your trailer stored outside and is it exposed to quite a bit of sunlight and heat.

Having vintage trailers we can see where this tape would be very helpful for long-term or temporary fixes. Scraping 50 plus years of caulk, trempro, adhesive, rubber, glue, chewing gum and a variety of other adhesives off is very arduous and time-consuming work with lots of chemicals involved.
"Cloudsplitter" is stored outdoors, uncovered, year around. Not like the SW for sure, but I think the WNY Winters make up for some UV exposure.
I have had occasion to remove the 3m tape, warmed up with a hair dryer it usually pulls off in nice easy sections.
Clean & re-apply, no mess.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-18-2019, 12:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thank you much, I think we will get an occasion to use it this fall if we don't get all of the seams and problem spots sealed up prior to a trip. Will report back how it worked.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by billhenry58 View Post
We have a 2005 and noticed a small leak around the fan this winter. After investigating the seals i noticed that were all cracked and suspect. I took a putty knife and scraped up the high spots of caulk, wiped the area down with mineral spirits and applied Gorilla tape and then topped the tape with aluminum foil tape to protect the rubber from UV. It worked great! A much easier fix and probably better in the long run that sealant. I'm gonna tackle the skylight seals next, but I think it will require removal of the cap to get it done right.
Would love to see a photo if you're ever up that way again!

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:01 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
3m 4412

After reading this thread and Robert's posts, I did some research on 3M 4412 tape. It is truly an engineered solution for metal roof sealing. I bought some from Amazon to use on all of my hatches/skylight. The Amazon vendor recuts the std 18 yd roll to 5 yds so the core is not going to say 3M, but I have no reason to suspect it is not.
The prep was fairly easy and I love the way the tape seals. All reports indicate it lasts and lasts longer than the caulk Airstream and my dealer use. I just ordered a roll of narrower tape to use on the top panel seams so that I can ignore sealing those again for years. That will leave me wondering what to do about the various round penetrations on the roof, but they seem in good shape for now.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:55 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Ditto on the 3M Extreme Sealing Tape. Cheapest I found was on eBay. $45.00 for a 2” x 18 yard roll. Gets awesome reviews and no mess or sticky fingers!
Ken
pkm123 is offline   Reply With Quote