Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2006, 11:44 AM   #101
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Here is a link to a fellow Airstreamer and advertiser on this forum who has the correct caulk in stock. I just ordered some yesterday for my Fantastic Fan project.
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...Code=VTS%2D190
Old 05-19-2006, 10:38 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello neil.ervin,

It is possible that they used urathane windshield sealer on you window.It is the best there is for automotive glass installations .Its not silicone but urathane and is really bonds,the windshield guys all use it.I dont recoomend it for your airstream but if thats what they used its sealed ,believe it!

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:26 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Most Airstream dealers should carry SikaFlex, Acryl-R and ParBond as these are what Airstream uses. The others come from my RV parts distributors. If you can't find what you need, PM me and I can get them for you.

I believe that you can also get some of these directly from the A/S factory at the web site...factory store section.
Awhile back I seem to recall that someone from Airstream - it may have been Jim Parrett - made a post, either here or on Airstream's company site, listing the various types of caulking that the factory used for each different application.

I searched but could not find that posting. Does anyone have a link for it? It may be time to repost this information.

Also, when we were at the factory a year or so ago I purchased a really nice aluminum caulking gun (or maybe it's brushed steel) from them, which they filled with caulking -- I believe it's Acryl-R. They sell the empty guns in the factory store for around $20, and they are excellent. Then, they'll fill it with caulking for you (and refill it whenever you're there and need more) for around $3 or so (I can't remember the exact price).

Isn't Acryl-R is what the factory uses all over on the exterior - around the windows, doors, lights, rub rail, etc? That seems like awfully good caulking to me, and you can really lay a fine bead, easily, with that caulking gun that Airstream sells.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:56 AM   #104
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
ProFlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
What about this stuff? Supposedly not silicon based...I have used it quite succesfuly on my SOB...

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...21208&tab=desc
Bill,

The ProFlex isn't bad stuff. I have a few tubes of it in my sealant inventory. I think you would be better off with grey SikaFlex polyurethane on your Airstream. Sealing up yout A/S is not the place to try to save a few bucks. It's the stuff that they use at the factory.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:02 AM   #105
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Acryl-R

Hey FF,

The Acryl-R that I use has a grease gun style applicator that screws directly onto the can that holds the sealant. The can is about 3 1/2" by 5" with a screw-on cap. It is a 'self leveling' selant that the factory uses for the narrow exterior seams. It seems to wick into the seam before it starts to cure. IMHO, it is the BEST for this particular application.

You can buy the refill cans from any A/S dealer and I believe that they are on the web site store as well......but they AIN"T CHEAP as the new can I have has a $32.99 price tag on it for 16 ounces!!!
Old 05-20-2006, 08:17 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
the one I have sounds similar to yours, in that's it's a grease gun style, and it is a 16 oz size, except I just looked and it was only $17.99 (empty) from the Airstream store last year. Then, as I said, they filled the can at the factory for about $3. On mine, the top screws off and the liquid goes inside the can itself.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:59 PM   #107
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
silicone removal

As Silver Ranger, my previous owner must have owned a Silicone factory. They used it to seal around EVERYTHING on exterior.

How can you remove silicone from aluminum exterior?

Safari64
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:55 PM   #108
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
VERY CAREFULLY!!!!!

Really, I've seen commercial glass installers use WD-40 before they peel the old stuff off on a window replacement. Scrape-and-pull......scrape-and-pull with a plastic putty knife.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:33 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
There are two types of silicone sealeant. One is Acetic Acid cure(very corrosive and outlawed by NAVAL Aviation period) and Alcohol cure(not corrosive). Neither works well on aluminum or on much of anything that I've found. Use the stuff that Airstream uses (Vulcum, Par bond Etc or anything that Andy of Inland RV recommends) Stay away from the silicones. You will be disapointed in the long run.
IF was me, due to the expericneds that I have had with the silicones in NAVAL AVIATION, I would clean the stuff off and replace it with what Inland recommends.
That's my two cents worth.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:04 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Silicone a no no on Aluminum? Uh oh

I've been looking for more of the 3M 5200 in clear and can't find it... I did find a site that said using silicone on Aluminum isn't good, that it can corrode the aluminum. Why do YOU think it's a bad idea?

thanks

Peter
Old 06-27-2006, 02:11 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
I see

Sorry, missed that, silcone has to be throrougly cleaned off before you can apply another material. I read in this

http://www.pgwebconsulting.com/boating/pages/caulk.html

about acetic acid in silicon caulks, and corrosion, and wonder if I've done a bad thing,caulking the seams of my AS with 3M 5200?

P
Old 06-28-2006, 07:09 AM   #112
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
All of the 3M 5200 I've ever seen was urethane not silicone. Urethane sealants are commonly used on Airstreams.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:18 AM   #113
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Peter,

You can stop looking for clear 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealant, it only comes in white. None of the 3M Marine Urethanes come in clear.

If you are using something clear, it probably is the 3M Marine Grade Silicone Sealant.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:13 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Has anyone used Lexol , it's a clear caulk used for bulkheads in kayaks ?
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:39 PM   #115
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Just my two cents guys...I had silicone around some lower windows (a lot of it) and I was puzzled about how to get it off without scraping. Then the light came on! I had bought a 3M pinstripe remover wheel (basically a big, hard rubber eraser that goes on your drill). That sucker ate the silicone off almost completely in just a few seconds. What was left was in the grooves and I will get it out with a plastic scraper. -Don
cobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:54 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Ya had me going there, Terry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I know silicone does not do that well sealing aluminum. For example, the Cadillac ...
Long before I learned how to work with Airstreams, a coworker owned a Cadillac runabout. This was a small aluminum boat with a front deck and windshield. See: http://www.harborrec.com/CurrentPics%5C049.html. A quick Google produces production dates in the 1950s. The sealant between the panels had long since worn out and it would sink every night if he left it tied to the dock. More than once he cleaned up the joints and caulked it with silicone. I don't know what he did with that boat but the silicone never did the trick. When sillycone takes a whim to stick it is a devil to remove. However it just as freely decides to not hold (a.k.a. leak) in other places.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:21 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
I feel ill

I thought I had found something great, using 3M marine Silicone to seal my very leaky Airstream. Finally, last winter, I tracked the last leak, with dye in a rainstorm, to wicking up into one of the front curving panels. I shoved a bunch of silicone in there, and no more leaks. I guess I get a few cans of WD-40 and some plastic scrapers, and a few books on tape. Sigh.

SO, will the use of the silicone somehow have weakened the aluminum?

Peter
Old 07-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #118
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64
SO, will the use of the silicone somehow have weakened the aluminum?

Peter
Not at all, but it does leave a slick residue which will prevent virtually anything else from obtaining a positive bond to the surface. Hence the need to clean it so thoroughly after removing all visible silicone.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #119
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
1976 31' Sovereign
Falls City , Texas
cleaning residue?

Coriolis1, how do you ensure that you have cleaned it thoroughly? What do you use to get all the residue off? Thanks, --Lisa.

"A fairly bright boy is far more intelligent and far better company than the average adult." --John B. Haldane
campw/4sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #120
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by campw/4sons
Coriolis1, how do you ensure that you have cleaned it thoroughly? What do you use to get all the residue off? Thanks, --Lisa.
Hi Lisa,

Found this when I did a search for "silicone removal".

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulk, caulking, sealant