Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2005, 02:59 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
other sealants

I used Vulkem and didn't like the way it looked... gray. I've been using 3M Marine grade Silicone sealant, bought in a moment of desparation at the West Marine in Berkeley. It seems to work pretty well... I was concerned about seams opening from the coach flexing on the road. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with this? It's been easy to tool, kind of a mess to clean up, but I like it being transparent.

Peter
Old 02-02-2006, 05:58 PM   #82
1 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Chipley , Florida
Any idea where a rain leak starts that shows up on floor under the furnace on a 1979 28 ft Ambassdor?
Chipleyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:13 PM   #83
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbend
Any idea where a rain leak starts that shows up on floor under the furnace on a 1979 28 ft Ambassdor?
Bigbend,
Possibly the kitchen sink vent stack, awning rail, door light, door frame, airconditioner...basically anything on the roof or side along that side...My first fix would be the plumping vent. The basics are in this Thread complete with pictures

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
3M Marine grade Silicone sealant

Globie64-

3M Marine grade Silicone sealant is an excellent product. I've used it on boats and it held up for years. Plenty of sun exposure and some off-shore pounding. Coming off some waves would cause bone-jarring landings that had to be worse than any pothole. Never had a leak with it due to movement after about 6 years of use.

Think about 5200 if you want a more permanent marine-grade seal. It's even recommended by "Tawmmy Silva" on This Old House.

63GT
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:29 PM   #85
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Isn't Silicone a no-no on aluminum?
Old 02-03-2006, 02:52 AM   #86
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Isn't Silicone a no-no on aluminum?
IMHO...YES! once is starts leaking you will be sorry because you have to get it all off before any new caulking will stick properly. There may be a difference between the Marine grade sillycone and the stuff you get at the local home center. But in my metal working experience silicone is the worst choice for metal, especially aluminum. Vulkem and Sika is what is used at the factory and I am sure it is for a good reason.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 04-30-2006, 07:44 PM   #87
3 Rivet Member

Use of silicone sealant on Airstream exterior??

I had read/heard to never use silicone adhesive on the exterior of an airstream trailer. My dealer uses silver (aluminum) parbond for small seals and Vulkem 116 for larger sealing.

Recently I had a segment of my exterior skin replaced over the rear window and they used black silicone under the rubber seal around the window. It this considered an ok place to use silicone sealant on the exterior?

Thanks,
Old 04-30-2006, 08:05 PM   #88
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I also have heard not to use silicone on the skins. I bought the stuff Airstream uses, Silkaflex all over the exterior and vulkem in the wheel wells.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:11 PM   #89

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
I spent several hours today removing all the silicon around one of my vista windows. Seems that over the past 30 years the preveous owners felt that was the stuff to use. I can tell you that it is a real pain to remove. I wouldn't ever use it anywhere on my Airstream.

I resealed my vista window using Vulkem and parbond.

-T
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:36 AM   #90
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Silicone Sealant...no no no no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.ervin
I had read/heard to never use silicone adhesive on the exterior of an airstream trailer....It this considered an ok place to use silicone sealant on the exterior?
That's right...even I (who knows so little) knows that.
plz listen to whoever told you that...bcz it's correct---I'm sur you'll hear from others.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:49 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Maybe with today's skins

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.ervin
I had read/heard to never use silicone adhesive on the exterior of an airstream trailer...
Way back when, Airstreams were made with pure aluminum alloy skins and were clearcoated after assembly. Nowadays, the skins come from the aluminum company with a clearcoat already applied to, I assume, both sides of each skin.

If my assumption is correct, it would appear that one would want the sealer that works best with dried clearcoat as the clearcoated surface is the one the sealer will be sealing. In this case, silicone adhesive may be a better choice.

Also, I have noticed many silicone-based products being sold list not only compatibility with aluminum but "superior sealing" characteristics.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:48 AM   #92
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW

Also, I have noticed many silicone-based products being sold list not only compatibility with aluminum but "superior sealing" characteristics.

Tom
IMHO advertising! I work in the architectural metals field, NONE of our manufacturers allow silicone for sealants on any of their metals...it doesn't work. Typically the sealants that are approved for use are either Polyurethane (Vulkem, Sikaflex or NP-1) Butyl caulk for in the metal laps, or in some cases a rubber based. NO SILICONE! if they do find it, it will void warranties. Airstream still only uses the polyurethane sealants, it must be for a reason.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 05-01-2006, 05:55 AM   #93
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I just had to chime in on this one . I love it when I get a call about fixing an exterior leak that was 'repaired' with silicone! As the saying goes:"Ya can pays me now or ya can pays me later" the silicone has to go!! Polyurethanes and butyl rubbers are the ONLY things to use on ANY RV. Sikaflex, Parbond, Dicor, Acryl-R, Vulkem.....great stuff. Let GE stay in the appliance business!! .
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:29 AM   #94
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Neil,

Did you ask the dealer why he did it.

Maybe the rubber window glazing requires an RTV sealant, because the urethane sealants don't work well on silicone rubber. Myabe he was following directions by the window glazing manufacturer.

I think there must be a reason, since he uses the 'right stuff' elsewhere.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:46 AM   #95
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I know silicone does not do that well sealing aluminum. For example, the Cadillac 4.1, 4.5, and 4.9 engines (aluminum block and heads) were sealed almost exclusively with silicone, iinstead of conventional gaskets. Every one I have seen has been spewing oil from every possible (and some not possible) place they can leak.
While your trailer is not an engine, and (hopefully) you won't be sealing against oil, I don't think silicone is the thing to use.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:48 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
The previous owner of my 68 Trade Wind must have owned stock in silicone adhesives. It seems to be holding up around the windows, but what an ugly mess. It may be one of my biggest challenges when I begin to restore.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:53 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Polyurethanes and butyl rubbers are the ONLY things to use on ANY RV. Sikaflex, Parbond, Dicor, Acryl-R, Vulkem.....great stuff. Let GE stay in the appliance business!! .

Can I get any of the above mentioned anywhere else beside an RV store??
Went to HD last night and came home empty handed...need for my wheel wells .....thanks!
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:24 AM   #98
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Most Airstream dealers should carry SikaFlex, Acryl-R and ParBond as these are what Airstream uses. The others come from my RV parts distributors. If you can't find what you need, PM me and I can get them for you.

I believe that you can also get some of these directly from the A/S factory at the web site...factory store section.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:27 AM   #99
2 Rivet Member

Years ago, when I was in the military, it was determined that the silicone sealant was corrosive to aluminum and not to be used on our helicopters. As to whether the formulation has changed and that is no longer the case, I haven't heard.
yochanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:14 AM   #100
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
What about this stuff? Supposedly not silicon based...I have used it quite succesfuly on my SOB...

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...21208&tab=desc
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulk, caulking, sealant