Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #261

1969 29' Ambassador
Corryton , Tennessee
Andy,

Do you have any idea what type of gasket to use the side fixed windows for a 1969 Ambassador. I have looked everywhere and can't find one that looks like the old gaskets I have taken out. I have seen your posts and have looked all over this forum. If you don't know, I don't know if anyone will know.

Thanks

Volunteer
volunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:34 AM   #262
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by volunteer View Post
Andy,

Do you have any idea what type of gasket to use the side fixed windows for a 1969 Ambassador. I have looked everywhere and can't find one that looks like the old gaskets I have taken out. I have seen your posts and have looked all over this forum. If you don't know, I don't know if anyone will know.

Thanks

Volunteer
Airstream will not sell the small "U" shaped gasket that holds the glass into the metal frame.

What you can use, is some Vulkem sealer, injected into the metasl frame and then insert the glass. Wipe off the surplus so that the Vulkem looks like a gasket.

You can also save yourself a bunch of time, if you clean up the old gasket, as best you can, and cover it with a bead of Vulkem. In that way, there is no need to take the window out, or apart.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:10 AM   #263
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
Being in the door and window industry, I have used flat rubber to make a U type gasket and then trim the excess just below the frame edge to allow for the application of a perimeter bead of sealant. Be aware, tempered glass, while strong, is edge-sensitive, so you should have something between the glass edge and the frame. Application of sealants in a TT is new to me, so I likely have a thing or two to learn here. I have always used silicone for any metal to glass applications and Tremco's Dymonic polyurethane sealant for any other applications. While these have always served me well in construction applications, I am not sure how well it will do in a constantly moving environment. 3m VHB tape is also an excellent product for various applications...

jm2c
Old 05-30-2011, 07:28 AM   #264
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmhays View Post
I have always used silicone for any metal to glass applications and Tremco's Dymonic polyurethane sealant for any other applications. While these have always served me well in construction applications, I am not sure how well it will do in a constantly moving environment. 3m VHB tape is also an excellent product for various applications...

jm2c
Jim,

Your question is a good one to ask. In general, and for whatever reason, sealants on TTs do seem to have a shorter life, and so it's always important that they can be quickly removed in order that the redo is as easy and fast to do as possible.

Silicon does NOT fit in with that idea. It sticks to aluminum like crazy, and is very slow and difficult to remove.

Not only that, it goes completely ugly with age, and does not keep that pure clear look.

To be avoided at all costs...
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:50 AM   #265
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
jm2c=just my 2 cents

Silicone can definately get ugly, no doubt! Polyurethane sealants are terrific...
Old 06-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #266
3 Rivet Member

I am recaulking my 2005 Safari with Sikaflex and Acryl-R. First time ever, for me and for the trailer.

Acryl-R is going ok but I have to tape everything and use a sock to smooth out the bead. My applicator (purchased from Airstream) takes two hands to squeeze and could never put out anywhere near a reasonably smooth bead. Any other ideas for smoothing out a bead?

Applying a large piece of blue tape at rounded corners, then cutting along seam with exacto knife, separating the two tape pieces, and replacing to create 1/8" opening is a GREAT idea someone posted on this forum.

For scraping off old Sikaflex, use a STURDY plastic putty knife.

Someone suggested duct tape for emergency leak repair. Great idea. Duct tape glue sticks well on aluminum and does not leave much residue. BUT duct tape does leave a LOT of residue on the white trailer roof. Oh, well, get out the denatured alcohol.

My REAL REASON for this post: I scraped off all the Sikaflex/Vulkem from around my fantastic fan. I found that almost every screw holding the fan cover onto the roof had a fan cover crack (in the plastic) either going to the outside of the cover or towards the interior of the cover. I've never replaced a fan cover and will be taking a short camping trip in 2 1/2 weeks and a long camping trip in 6 weeks. Do I really need to replace the cover or can I just reapply loads of Sikaflex.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:41 AM   #267
2 Rivet Member

Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I and others have had great success with Acryl-R as a final seam sealer. The stuff is excellent! It soaks into the seams nicely, and seems to remain plyable for long periods of time. The aluminum color is a great match for Airstream seams, and the applicator gun works especially well for those tight little seam areas.

That, along with SikaFlex 221 are all you really need, IMHO, for any sealing requirements on your Airstream.

What about the white roof seams? Does the Acryl-R come in white color or clear?

Thanks Terry
coolbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulk, caulking, sealant