Old 06-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #197
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwing70 View Post
...What solvent would be appropriate? I just did a search on this forum for siloxene...
i use 3m adhesive, wax, tar and silicone remover, but products will also remove silicone residuals....

search silicone (in this thread or subforum)

that is the commonly used name for the polysiloxane based sealants to AVOID on the exterior of 'streams...

Siloxane

Silicone

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #198
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I will have to echo some of Davidz71's comments, as far as my own experience goes with these sealants: I think Vulkem is a great, long lasting product, but it is sticky and messy, not to mention slow-curing, and not easy to use in small, detailed areas. I like it for big jobs, like installing/sealing my vista-view window, and completely sealing up the rear shell-floor-frame area. But for smaller jobs, like just sealing around window frames, storage compartment frames, and the like, I tried 2 different products, 2 years ago: Par-bond, and GE silicone ll formulated for aluminum, stainless, and other metals. The par-bond indeed looks all cracked, like it has shrunk, though so far I have noticed no leaks where I used it. The GE silicone (aluminum-silver colored) looks fresh, no cracking, no adhesion problems, no leaks. Will it last 30 years? I'll never know. Just my experience with the stuff, so far.- tim

Old 09-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #199
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I've read through here and didn't see (Geocel Instant gutter seal...) saw some other gutter seal but not this one... It comes in aluminum grey.. anybody use it... I dipped some rivets in it that I used to patch old screw holes works great and matches.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #200
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Durango , Colorado
PeterH's window caulking technique

Okay, I just got my Vulkem from Andy. I am ready to try PeterH's technique on my Vista View windows. Question: Can I use thinner and a rag like Peter did with the Vulkem?
Old 09-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #201
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Has anyone tried a product called NP1

Has anyone tried a product called NP1. It comes in Aluminum color and I was told by the business I was at they used to carry Vulkem but they replaced Vulkem with this NP1. Sounds like a line to me . . .but I bought some just in case.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #202
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Big Bear Lake , California
Hoppes #9 Blast & Clean Barrel Cleaner

Let me chime in here and say that this stuff should be in the Airstream Bible for cleaning up vulkem sealer. This stuff will liquify fresh sealant and loosen old. This product was brought to my attention by another Forum member some years ago and he is right, it can not be beat.

Now some folks feel environmental concerns outway the use of this product as it is a strong solvent, so be it, you are entitled to do as you wish.

I am a firm believer in vulkem as I have removed areas of the stuff that was 40+ years old and still pliable and doing it's job. Other areas that were subject to extreme exposure were not so soft but nothing a plastic scraper couldn't handle. I've used Parbond and all I can say is that it features a small nozzel. Vulkem, coupled with the Hoppes, can not be beat. Use of a small syringe or a large one with a big needle will get you wherever you what to go. Yes the vulkem is messy. But with a pair(s) of disposable gloves, papertowels and the Hoppes, you're looking at finish work smooth as a hound's tooth. Find Hoppes spray in most Camping aisles where gun supplies are featured. There are other brands too at WallMart. That's my truth and I'm stickin' to it. Hope this helps ya.
Ed
Old 03-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #203
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
Where would you go to get this sealant? Also the vulkem, and parbond? Our '79 airstream has multiple leaks, I want to fix them all at one time.
Thanks
Old 03-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #204
1 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
Mont St-Hilaire , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipman View Post
Where would you go to get this sealant? Also the vulkem, and parbond? Our '79 airstream has multiple leaks, I want to fix them all at one time.
Thanks
Vulkem 116 is the way to go for tour application..

Representatives/Distributors in Your Area - Tremco Commercial Sealants & Weatherproofing
Old 03-20-2009, 02:11 AM   #205
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks
We have Vulkem and Par-bond.

Andy
Old 03-20-2009, 08:20 AM   #206
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Thanks
Vintage Trailer Supply is also a good place to shop for sealant and other products.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #207
1 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
Mont St-Hilaire , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
We have Vulkem and Par-bond.

Andy
A Vulkem dealer AND a forum contributor, what else can you ask for more???? I love Andy already...
Old 03-23-2009, 04:36 PM   #208
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCampeur View Post

Unfortunate: two of the companies listed in that link which are in my immediate area are incorrect. First one (in Rockledge FL) doesn't carry the product and suggested I call painting contractors. Second one (Palm Bay FL) has an incorrect phone number --- goes to a pretty interesting voice mail though .

I'll give Inland RV a shout. I need the stuff like yesterday.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #209
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Funkill,

Do you have a Fastenal store nearby?? They carry Tremco products and if they don't have it, they'll get it for you in just a couple of days. I've had great success in getting lots of goodies for my Airstream at Fastenal.

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
http://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
CrzyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #210
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyCorpsman View Post
Funkill,

Do you have a Fastenal store nearby?? They carry Tremco products and if they don't have it, they'll get it for you in just a couple of days. I've had great success in getting lots of goodies for my Airstream at Fastenal.

I am fairly certain that there's one near the Sherwin Williams store - cruise by on my way home. Thanks for the tip!

Tags
caulk, caulking, sealant