Old 06-11-2002, 03:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
caulking

Just fininshed a two day marathon caulking session. Using the blue masking tape to get a straight line, I Vulkum sealed around the beltline body trim on my Motorhome, and then went around the windows, doors, fender wells, and all other outside trim areas with Dupont silicone II aluminum. On advice of PeterH, I pulled the tape quickly after caulking each area, and wiped any excess caulk off with Mineral spirits. Also used the mineral spirits to smooth out the Vulkum. Thanks Pete, as if I had left the tape on any longer it would have been a mess.
All looks good now...hopefully it will last for awhile.

Old 06-11-2002, 04:49 PM   #2
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
After I recaulked all my windows, I eliminated some small mystery leaks.
When I pulled all the windows on the curb side during my panel replacement, I realized that the boys at Airstream were a bit sloppy the day they cut the aluminum for the windows. In some places they cut it just 1/8" from the edge of the window frame. The rivets were just decoration, but they put tons of vulkem on the inside to make up for it. So over the years some small leaks developed.
Using the blue tape on either side sure makes a nice looking caulk line!

Old 06-11-2002, 07:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Parbond

Is Parbond still in favor for those small overlapping seams between alum. panels?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 09:54 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
David,

You bring up a good question. I am in the process of removing the pounds of silicone that a PO put on my coach and was wondering if I should reseal the seams between front and rear caps and the side walls. I am planning on painting so the grey parbond vs the ivory paint is not an issue for me, but I am wondering if the ParBond can be painted or will it need to be stripped?

if it can be painted this would allow for me to begin the repairs on the steel that need to be done prior to paint as well as allow for a good seal. I have a few mystery leaks that I am hoping this will resolve.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 09:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Hi Brett
What are you using to remove the silicone?

Take Care
VAC
http://pages.sprint.ca/Streamsite/main.html
66TradeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 09:59 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Since mine is painted and I plan on repainting I am using a single edged razorblade and alot of elbow grease. a large quantity has released from the aluminmum skin, but not from the trim. If I had a shiny aluminum skin I would be leery of a razor blade as I have scratched the skin. I know I read on the froum a method for removing without scratching but I do not remember where..... CRS wins again!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 09:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I've heard of people using sharpened popsicle sticks...that's what we are planning on using at this point.

Shari
Old 07-10-2002, 03:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking removal of nasties

Let's see if this applies: problem of cleaning.
On the removal process, I used alcohol and, a old toothbrush to clean up the residue of silicone. The first step, I used a stainless steel dental tool with a very long, fine point. (the kind they'd use to clean your teeth when you go in for a 6 month check-up & cleaning) Just work very slowly, keep the point of the tool pointing away from the aluminum skin and, on the spots where you find it difficult to get it in between, a slight press inward with the palm of your hand will open it up for you. Practice, practice makes for a neat job. In some cases, I would use Spirit of Mineral oil then, followed by alcohol to clean up. A damp(water) clean rag, followed by a dry terry cloth. sounds like alot of trouble but, this is after all..A labor of LOVE~!~
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR PROJECT.
ciao

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote