Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
French Settlement , Louisiana
Caulk around furnace vent

I just removed the furnace vent to polish, it was very bad around it and figured it would be easer and a better job with it off.There was no calk of any kind behind it .Do I need to calk or is it weather proof?
Billy
housebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by housebg
I just removed the furnace vent to polish, it was very bad around it and figured it would be easer and a better job with it off.There was no calk of any kind behind it .Do I need to calk or is it weather proof?
Billy
Billy, If you are talking about the outer access door for the furnace, you don't have to seal it to the skin as the entire unit should be sealed already. You also want to be able to remove it easily for cleaning and other access issues.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
French Settlement , Louisiana
no it is a vent not a door

It is a small vent about 3in wide and 6in tall it is die cast and hooks to two pipes in behind that hook to furnace the pipes rivet to the outer piece.
housebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:13 PM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I think that more typically, they use the "butyl tape" to seal that vent cover, but I was told by a tech from Suburban that you can use any caulk. He assured me that it won't get too hot in that spot, even w/ the furnace running. So I put a bead of vulkem around it the last time I had it off the trailer (had to remove the furnace to access/replace the bad thermocouple). haven't had any problem with the vent or its caulking, although I don't use it much.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote