Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Cedar Bluff , Virginia
BR leak

I pulled up the bedroom carpet up in my new to me '74 sovereign mid bath. The floor was wet on all three sides. Mostly at the rear. Some of the marker lights have the lens missing. I have read that the lights were a common leak source.

The PO told me that he sealed around the windows. That might or might not be so.

I have not yet had a chance to take a close look at the roof yet.

How is the best way to find the leak?
Airlifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The most common place to leak is the plate that goes under the rear of the trailer. Other sources are tail lights, windows, and awning brackets. Sewer vents can leak and also cause water to run to the back of the trailer.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
I've been working on finding and fixing possible leaks for almost 2 years. Perry is absolutely right. Start with the back bumper, clean out and dry that joint really well then seal it.
After working on my 20' Argosy - and I just put in another 2 hours fussing today - I've come to the conclusion that Airstreams are like any other trailer and will leak anywhere there is a penetration of the skin. Unlike other trailers though, I don't think they tend to leak at the seams. My friends who have white box trailers have leaks not only at the penetrations (vents, marker lights, etc), but also at the seams. Airstreams have an issue at the tail and beneath the rub rail instead of at the seams.
Nobody's perfect, and I'd rather own and Airstream.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Cedar Bluff , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
The most common place to leak is the plate that goes under the rear of the trailer. Other sources are tail lights, windows, and awning brackets. Sewer vents can leak and also cause water to run to the back of the trailer.

Perry
I am not sure which plate you mean. The compartment in the rear where the power cable is stored is loose from the belly pan but the trailer has not been moved in the rain.

I hate to sound so ignorant but this is my first encounter with an AS. I am sure there are many parts and procedures have nomenclature particular to airstream.

Thanks
Airlifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Yes the plate where the lid on the rear bumper storage is attached. It goes under the floor and funnels water in there. Once wet, it can stay that way for yrs.

Perry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Airstream Forums mobile app
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote